Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Tom & Mary-Contributing Editors's Avatar

We had always wondered what does a Captain do when his ship is in the path of a hurricane. We found the answer to this question when we sailed on the Norwegian Sun, in September 2002, as hurricane Lili was barreling through the Caribbean in the direct path of our itinerary. This is an account of our experience.

Regards,
Tom & Mary
TomandMarysCruiseReviews.com
Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 AM

We had always wondered what does a Captain do when his ship is in the path of a hurricane. We found the answer to this question when we sailed on the Norwegian Sun, in September 2002, as hurricane Lili was barreling through the Caribbean in the direct path of our itinerary. This is an account of our experience.

Regards,
Tom & Mary
TomandMarysCruiseReviews.com
Old 08-20-2004, 04:25 PM

Tom and Mary, GREAT article. It is especially timely. I am so glad you folks were spared by this last hurricane.

Tom
Old 08-31-2004, 09:50 AM

I can't find.....where's the link to the story??

Too Long!

Click here for my website
Old 08-31-2004, 11:39 AM

Hi,

here it is:

http://www.tomandmaryscruisereviews.com/Hurricane.htm

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Banned

What happens if the storm is about to or hit the port when you are supposed to be borading or disembarking? It looks like FRANCES is scheduled for the Ft.Luaderdale/Miami area on Saturday morning the 4th.What will the ships do, go into port for disembarkation/ embarkation or stay out an extra day until the storm has passed Florida?I know that when they are at sea they can avoid the storms quite easily but when heading to port or in port it is not so easy. Tom
Old 09-10-2004, 09:32 PM

We are scheduled on the Oosterdam leaving Dec. 12 going to Western Carribbean. I have been wondering with all the hurricanes that have hit or may hit the islands, is there a way to get current info on the state of specific islands we'll be going to?
JUDY
Old 09-11-2004, 03:38 AM

Hello Judy,

checking with the islands' tourist offices should be a good way. You will find them with a Google search.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Banned

Hello All
Has anyone heard from Tom & Mary since Frances went through? They live in New Symrna and that area got it pretty good.It didn't have the strenght of Charley but lasted a lot longer.I hope they are O.K.
Tom
Old 09-11-2004, 08:32 AM

Tom,

We were dodging 'Francis for the past six days. We have lived in Florida 30+ years and have never been unduly concerned about hurricanes, that is until Charlie paid us a visit. The eye came within 15 miles of where we live and it was a frightening experience. We had quite a bit of damage and was without electricity for four days. Charlie was a category (2). When we heard that Francis was a category (4) and possibly building to a category (5), we remembered that hurricane Andrew, another catergory 4/5, damaged homes 30 miles in-land. We decided to vacate before a evacuation was called. After three hours on the Internet, the only reservation I could make was in a small town just below Pensacola Florida, a town called Perdido. I thought we could stay there until the electricity came back, but Francis changed our plans. When we saw that it was reorganizing in the Gulf and heading for the panhandle, we decide to got to my sisters home in Myrtle Beach. We left early in the morning and drove through torrential rains for 250 miles to Savannah, where we stayed at a Wingate Inn. Francis was huge in size and covered the entire state. When we were going to leave at 6:30 in the morning it was raining torrents and the weather channel flashed a severe Tornado warning. We waited until the the heavy rain band passed and headed for Myrtle Beach, raining all the way. We had a short but wonderful visit with my sister and her daughter and husband. We got news that Monday, Labor day, that the electricity had come back on and after checking Ivans track, we decided to head home, with another pit stop at the Wingate in Savannah. We arrived home 12 o'clock today. We lost another large tree on our front lawn and a great deal of shingles from the roof. But, we are very fortunate compared to many people in our area. God has once again blessed us in a mighty way.

Closed Thread

Tags
answers, category, chat, cruise, cruisesept, crusie, hurricane, hurricanes, live, norwegian, path, ship, ships, sun, survive, yahoo