Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
We are planning an Alaskan Cruise for my husbands 60th BD May 28th. We will take a cruise that departs from Seattle on May 23, 24 or 25. We have children coming from London in their 30s and a baby under 2. Hopefully our children here will join us. They are in their 20s and 30s.

We want this to be a wonderful cruise and not boring to any. The younger ones do like to party so keep that in mind. We are also taking into consideration the cost. The ones in London will incure the most. Up until resently I had it set that we would sail on the NCL Pearl but I have been reconsidering that as it is the most expensive I see.

I would like input on our other choices as all the reviews are mixed. Our choices are....NCL Pearl or Star, HA Amsterdam, Oosterdam or Westerdam, Golden or Star Princess, Celebrity's Infinity and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas. I am concerned that HA may be a much older crowd for them from the reviews I have read. Some state the average age is 70.

As for ports I noticed some leave by 1 or 2pm and others stay till 4 or 5, maybe later. I wonder if this is something we should take into consideration.

Also, can someone recommend a good hotel? We stayed at one last year by the airport and it was horrible! This will be the first trip to Seattle for all but me and my husband. Would like that to be pleasent for them too. We will arrive 1 or 2 days before the cruise. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 AM

Sandee,
I don't think you will regret any of the choices you have listed. HAL and Princess have been in Alaska the longest so I recommend them a lot. Most of HAL's ships have fewer passenger to contend with when embarking/disembarking. HAL's newer ships (Vista class)are more designed for families. I have never felt HAL's average age is 70. I just came off the Golden Princess. It is a nice ship. I sailed on Celebrity Summit last August in Alaska. I thought they did a good job also.
I have not stayed at the Red Lion Hotel in Seattle, but I have heard it is similar to Marriott, and in a good location within walking to shops and the harbor.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 AM

My daughter was married on the Oosterdam inn Seattle three years ago. We also were on the cruise with them and agree that the average age is definately not 70 but it is an older, not really a party ship. Just got off the Infinity and I would say ditto to above. It's a great ship but better for people around 50, not good at all for kids in my opinion. Don't care for Princess at all since Carnival took them over. We really enjoy RCCL for mixing age groups, lots to do on the ship, great kids club etc. Too bad you can't leave out of Vancouver as the inside passage trip is truly beautiful. ENJOY!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the information. From what I read the NCL Pearl does do the inside passage one day. Is there a differance?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:43 AM

I would look at the time spent in ports for each one your looking at. The Westerdam out of SEA on 25 May actually shows time in Glacier Bay. This is a big highlight for many people.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:38 AM

We have done the inside passage from Vancouver twice and it just seemed "prettier" (lame term I know) from the very beginning. When you leave from Seattle, the first day is at sea and you really are "at sea" whereas doing the inside passage is more scenic. The highlight for you all will probably be Glacier Bay where you will spend a good amount of time surrounded by beautiful glacial scenery.

Closed Thread

Tags
age, alaska, alaskan, average, celebrity, cruise, embarking, golden, infinity, kids, ncl, princess, reviews, seattle, star