Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 AM
I was unsure whether or not to post this as it almost seems unbelievable but then I thought its a serious subject and even it seems as if it couldn't be true it could at least be discussed on here.
I was on a forum unrelated to cruises ( a flyers forum ) and someone had posted ( in october ) that they had spoken to a senior member of management and had been told that 20% of the gratuities that are collected are taken by the ship as a handling charge.
I don't want to mention the ship or cruiseline concerned except to say it is one of the main cruiselines.
At first I thought it was probably untrue but got to thinking that nobody really seems to know exactly who distributes the tips and how would we know if a cruiseline does have a handling charge before the crew get their share of the tips.Also banks have an administrative charge as do several other corperations so why shouldn't a cruiseline ?
I know cruise lines are trying to maximise profits but if this information is true then 20% seems to be a huge chunk to deduct.

So what do you think possible fact or fantasy ?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Rumors about this have been floating around for years and are often used as a reason to have the auto tips removed and pay them in cash on your own. But then anyone who thinks the stewards, waiters, and busboys aren't paying a little extortion money to their supervisors are fooling themselves. In either case, I don't think it is any of my business and it is between the crew and the company.

I doubt that a senior officer of a ship would suddenly blurt out confidential accounting info to a passenger. If it were a fact I am sure disgruntled crew members would have spilled the beans a long time ago and it would be common knowledge, and not something hidden in a four month old thread on Flyertalk (which is a sister forum to ours, also owned by Internet Brands).

If it is true apparently the crew is okay with it, since Princess has no problem staffing their ships and everyone seems happy.

Closed Thread

Tags
charge, cruise, handling, line, norwegian, phone