Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are planning a 7 night Caribbean cruise. I have only been on 2 cruises before: both 4 nights on RCCL. They were really fun, but think we would prefer a more upscale line this time. We are not into gambling, "best legs contests", or the shows...more into good food and relaxation (and we're in our early 40s). Which lines do you recommend? I've heard Celebrity, Princess and HAL are more upscale. How is their food?
Thanks for the advice!
Bee
Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are planning a 7 night Caribbean cruise. I have only been on 2 cruises before: both 4 nights on RCCL. They were really fun, but think we would prefer a more upscale line this time. We are not into gambling, "best legs contests", or the shows...more into good food and relaxation (and we're in our early 40s). Which lines do you recommend? I've heard Celebrity, Princess and HAL are more upscale. How is their food?
Thanks for the advice!
Bee

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Well, since you have already sailed twice on RCI, try their sister brand - Celebrity. They may be more suited to your liking. I don't know if their cruise points and RCI points are shared (I doubt that they are), but at least they are the same company. But all three of the lines you mentioned are supposed to be what you seem to be looking for.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator

I think you might like any of those three other lines. Celebrity and HAL in particular. They have a more sedate routine, hardly no public announcements, and a usually quiet atmosphere. I've always felt Celebrity had very good food. The dining room is more European in style and presentation.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 PM

You probably would enjoy any of them. Each have their pluses. I particularly like Celebrity. I like the refinement and special touches on Celebrity. As Dave says announcements are limited which is a big plus in my book. No "Come on down for bingo!"

Celebrity and RCI do have a reciprocal program. Whatever level you are on one, you will have that same level of privledges on the other.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks to all of you - I appreciate the feedback (and anyone else who is willing to comment.) I think we will probably try Celebrity, then. Have any of you been on the Summit?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-03-2009, 08:05 PM

I was on the Summit in Alaska August 2007. I took my Father for his 1st cruise and his 75th birthday. Everything on the cruise went great.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Hi Beecruiser, and welcome to cruise-chat.com!

We were on Summit's sister ship, Infinity, a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. The food in the dining room was good, yet the specialty restaurant was superb and well worth the extra cost. As you want relaxation, I'm sure you will enjoy the adults-only AquaSpa area and its Thalassotherapy pool.

HAL and Princess are also good choices (in that order, IMO).
Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
If you do not want lots of PAX you might try Oceania..<700 pax
good food, no vegas style shows, hairy leg contests etc... limited smoking areas, no formal nights, smaller ship 30200 GRT, open dining
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 PM

I can't give you an honest opinion because I only sail with RCCL. Next month I'll complete my 50th cruise with them. I do talk to a lot of people about other cruise lines while on my cruises, and everyone has reasons for which line is their favorite. Sometimes it's not the cruise line, but the different ships. There's a huge difference in comparing a small "Sovereign" class ship, to a mega ship like the "Voyager" or "Freedom" class. Now that I've been on all the different classes of ships that RCCL has to offer, I would like to try another line. However, I have another reason to keep booking with RCCL—I get a lot of perks from their loyalty program. I can use my diamond plus status with Celebrity, but if I book with Celebrity I won't get a cruise credit toward RCCL. It will only count toward Celebrity. You decide which cruise line you what to spend your 7 night vacation on. I would seriously consider price, and itinerary when making your decision. Let us know what your up to.

Sonny

Closed Thread