Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 01:49 PM

This is a really good link to see what things have happened on cruise ships. It lists illnesses and accidents.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html
Old 04-11-2006, 01:49 PM

This is a really good link to see what things have happened on cruise ships. It lists illnesses and accidents.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html
Old 04-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

While cruisejunkie offers information on problems, one should also realize that the operator of that website is no fan of cruising. The posted items often overstate what happened. For instance, much is made of a statistically insignificant number of ill passengers on X cruise, when a typical population of the same size at anytown USA would probably meet or exceed the number of illnesses for the same period.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 PM

I agree Dave, I always tell people when they ask about Norvirus that the ships are held to a higher standard.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Administrator

CF,

Down here in Alabama we use the incorrect term "stomach virus" when someone more than likely has a mild case of food poisoning. And not a day goes by when several people at my place of work - which numbers around 3000 employees - are out sick because of what is probably novovirus.

You also bring up an important thing......the ships are held to a higher standard. Most of us have home kitchens which the health department would condemn if they inspected them.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:48 PM

But Dave, I'm sure your kitchen floor is spotless right? Afterall you learned to swab floors in the military didn't you?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Ah yes. Swab em, strip em, wax em, and buff em.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 AM

Not only are ships held to a higher standard, but they are obligated to report illnesses whereas a resort or similar place is not obligated to do so.

The most important thing one can do to prevent illness on a ship, a hotel, in a restaurant, etc., is frequent hand washing. I have an information sheet that reinforces this concept, that was written by someone at CDC, that I send to all my clients with their final documents, along with a small squeeze bottle of Purell. They love it, and hopefully, they use it!

Sandy
Old 04-12-2006, 07:16 AM

In no way do I like cruisejunkie.com, I also know that the illnesses are going to happen same as in a work place, school, or anywhere there are a lot of people in a small area. I do like to see the reports and links to more information about events. There are so many big things that we don't hear about.

It would never keep me from cruising but I know some people it would. I still see it as a safe way to travel. But being informed helps you to be aware. Like how many people get refunds when these events happen. Being aware how often a port is missed so you can be prepared if it does. As far as the illnesses, knowing that they will make you stay in your room if you report it, may inform people not to- let it run the 24 hours and then get back to enjoy the rest of your trip.

As in all things we should be informed by both the negative and positive.

Closed Thread