Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:

I read that those cards have RFID chips in them.
I believe new passports are being made with the RFID chips, also.

I don't anticpate traveling by air outside of the country for quite awhile, so a passport card would save quite a bit of money (I have to buy for 7). And by the time I do need a passport I can switch from passport card to passport without having to do so in person. Some border states (such as Vermont) have agreed to issue enhanced driver's licenses that can be used for land travel.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 AM

They do have the chips in them. They say the card is good even if the chip goes bad.
I just think it is amazing that the cruise lines (at least HAL) has been putting out the infor on this things, yet they are not ready for them...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

There must be more to it, but being a casual observer I'd wonder what the problem is with upgrading their software. If they can accept passport info, what is so challenging about the cards? Perhaps they have to coordinate with CBP. That would explain why they can recognize valid passport numbers.

I wonder if any other lines are similarly behind the curve?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
There must be more to it, but being a casual observer I'd wonder what the problem is with upgrading their software. If they can accept passport info, what is so challenging about the cards? Perhaps they have to coordinate with CBP. That would explain why they can recognize valid passport numbers.

They would also have to have a software engineer program to take the passport card number only if it were to Mexico, Canada, ect. Still that is why those engineers makes the big bucks....

Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
As far as I know they are (supposed) to work with the CCL FunPass. I haven't tried it yet though.

Dwayne
Old 12-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sparks1093:
quote:

I read that those cards have RFID chips in them.
I believe new passports are being made with the RFID chips, also.

I don't anticpate traveling by air outside of the country for quite awhile, so a passport card would save quite a bit of money (I have to buy for 7). And by the time I do need a passport I can switch from passport card to passport without having to do so in person. Some border states (such as Vermont) have agreed to issue enhanced driver's licenses that can be used for land travel.

Just a few question.

Ok, lets say you have the passport card, how long are they good for? Now you want to switch to a passport but still have time left on the card will you get any time or $ credit.
The enhanced driver license would that be good in other states or just the state of issue, as in a Vermont license to go to Canada, can a Vermont license be used in Washington State to go to Canada

Old 12-14-2008, 01:06 PM

My memory is not what it used to be (and I'm not sure it's the way I remember it was) but the passport cards are valid for 10 years like a passport. I do not believe that you get a refund if you get a passport early. I believe the enhanced driver's licenses are good at any land port of entry, so I could fly to California and drive across the border to Mexico. Of course if I have a passport card I'll forego getting an EDL. For our first trip to the Bahamas we'll go with birth certificates and driver's licenses but after that we'll probably get passport cards for the kids and passports for DW and myself.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, back, card, cards, cruise, fly, good, line, location, norwegian, number, oassport, passport, piers, ship, work