Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 06:27 AM

Here is an updated link to the CDC about infections on cruiseships.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm#2005

I´ve been infected too, during our Splendour crossing last month. And I´ve heard from friends yesterday from the US that some people got the symptoms in the last night on the vessel and on their way back home.Poor people with this symptoms on a flight.

Best regards
Marita

Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 PM

Marita, interesting information. Boy, it pays to wash your hands and use the sanitizing stations frequently.

Tom
Old 01-17-2006, 08:10 AM

Thanks so much for this link! As a parent, I am worried about this...
I wonder if you know the answer to this:

It says on the site that the ships "have to report" these problems. Is it a bad thing or a good thing to see a particular line on there frequently?
Good- they are reporting it
Bad- they are continuing to have illnesses
I don't see anythig by DISNEY- are they NOT reporting? They can't be immune!

Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:45 AM

Jenhere,

Disney is listed as well with a couple of cases, though no recent ones.

As you can see, many outbreaks are caused by a Norovirus. Unlike outbreaks caused by salmonella, the cause for those outbreaks is neither bad quality food nor low hygiene levels - these outbreaks are almost always caused by passengers. The cruise lines can then only try to get the outbreak under control. As Tom indicated passengers can play their part by washing hands often and using the sanitizing stations found on quite a few cruise ships today.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 01-17-2006, 09:42 AM

I think it is important to also note the cruise lines are held to more strict guidelines than land restaurants/hotels. The same amount of outbreak could happen on land and not have to be reported; whereas a ship does.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the link, oppis.

I hope you all don't mind if I share an ironic story. Last February, my sister and her family visited our parents in Florida during the U.S. President's Week. My husband, son, and I went on a cruise the same week. My parents were disappointed that we chose to cruise rather than spend a week with all of them, and repeatedly told us to look out for the "cruise ship virus" (in other words, norovirus).

Well, on their way down to Florida, my 3-year-old niece started feeling ill. The next day, her 6-year-old brother had the same symptoms. Next stop: Florida. One by one, over the course of the week,my other nephew, sister, brother-in-law and both parents came down with classic symptoms of norovirus.

In the meantime, my husband, son, and I were on a cruise ship 3,000 miles away and were perfectly healthy. So, we actually avoided norovirus by going on a cruise.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:52 AM

Lisa-

That is a funny story. Really puts things in perspective!

Thanks again for the link. I'll check for updates!

Jen

Closed Thread

Tags
cons, cruise, florida, problems, program, programs, sanitation, sanitizing, stations, vessel, wmv