Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 PM

Hold on Chucks, before you drop this, let me chime in and state:
1. chill out!!
2. that I agree with what Dave and Penny mentioned in that it is the decision of who takes this tour and their experience that warrants a gratuity extended.

I am in the "service" industry as a bartender and yes, I do make my living off of tips. Min. wage in the state of Florida sucks!! That being said, when you owned your place, who cares if you owned it or bartended. Make your tips!! What the hell do the guests know?? They think you are the bartender on staff. That little bit extra (tip) might go miles for some of these tour guides to support their family.

In closing, Chucks, I've only worked at my current job for 1 year and I make more than my boss. And he has worked at this same place for 18-years. It's the person and how they conduct themselves with their guests. It's the environment you create that determines what tip percentage you are given. I have taken many private excursions and tipped the hell out of them for great experiences.

Lapappas, I hope this helped. Tip away brother!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Thank you Billy in FLL - Great comments and helpful insight. And by the way y'all, I'm not a he or a brother...I wonder what made it appear I'm a guy. No matter...thanks all.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 PM

I guess it depends on the country.
In Costa Rica we hired a private guide. Unbenounced to us, he had purchased bottled water, coke, and beer for our daytrip, hired the best boatsman on the canal ride, and made a special request for a snack-tasting at a local beachside restaurant before picking us up. We bought him a lunch at the restaurant and were going to tip him after the tour...but he just said "All I want is for you to say you had a good time, and spread the word. That will make me happy because that is how my business thrives".
In Mexico we "bumped" into a gentleman that wanted to show us the way to the local's market for best deals. He guided us, stood by us to make sure we weren't "ripped off" and guided us back to our ship. We would have never found this place othwerwise. He wouldn't leave until we showed our gratitude, so we gave a reasonable tip and all he did was smirk and walk away.
So...I say, to your own discretion and don't fret about it too much...it is YOUR vacation, enjoy it!
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 PM

Lapappas,

My deepest and heart-felt apologies. That assuming thing will get your tail in trouble. So sorry and I seriously hope that I was able to help you with your situation.

Cheers,
Billy

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, company, cruise, europe, guide, guides, line, owner, personal, private, tip, tipping, tips, tour, tourguide