Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I enjoy cruising and I am hooked. However, there is always one part of the cruise I hate. It is when you wake up in the morning after the final night, and have to say goodbye to the cruiseship for the last time. I always feel down that day. I wish the cruise would never end.

Has anyone felt the same way? I call it The Disembarkation Blues. Does anyone know a cure for it?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:18 PM

I try to have another one booked, before I get off that one. Other than that, I really don't think there is a cure. Sometimes when I go to work, I think "time to go to work, so I make money for my next vacation". Even that doesnt' help sometimes. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Besides what we all talk about, booking another one right away, or as Lil' Lori says, even before she gets off, try finding your "cruise saturation point"; that's the point where you actually start to look forward to going home.

I know some of you doubters will say, "there is no such thing!"
You just haven't been on a long enough cruise. For some it might be 7 days; for others it mihgt be 30; but we all have one--except you world cruisers--you are hopeless cases.

Mine is about 15 days. At that point I've had just about enough rich food, dressing up, dressing down, changing clothes five times a day, rocking in the shower, standing in line, toilet jokes and hyperactive cruise staff. I'm ready for a jar of peanut butter and a romp with my dog.

And I also hope you can all see my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 PM

So Rick, you just couldn't wait to get home and start cruise-chatting?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM
That's right. I started to have withdrawal symptoms being out of touch with you all--sweatly palms, dry mouth; it was awful.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Banned

Disembarkation is the worst. The entire aura of the ship changes.

It starts with the dreaded disembarkation paper in your cabin. Disembarkation in big, bold letters as the header. Followed by, the evil Disembarkation Informational Meeting, both in person and via your cabin television. Playing over and over and over again.

I find dressing for dinner that last evening is always fun. Not! On the last evening your luggage has to be out in the hallway for pick up so that the crew can... "as fast as possible", get your belongings to another building far away from the ship. They want to make absolutely sure that you know you're leaving the next day.

The smiles fade and the "shovel your last breakfast in quick" takes over. The crew doesn't even look in your direction. They're too busy getting everything shined and painted for the next group of passengers.

Booking your next cruise, as others have stated, helps ease the Disembarkation Depression Blues.

A'ndrea
Old 05-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Well, I guess if you're hooked, you're hooked...Ditto on all the comments thus far, especially the post the A'ndrea; that to me says it all. I guess I need the longer cruise to find out if my mood could swing the other way --- NOT!!

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-18-2007, 10:57 AM

f-mattox, I had a couple book their first cruise as a three leg segment of a world cruise. They'd sold their home and their retirement condo wasn't going to be available for a little over 6 weeks. They'd heard so much about cruising from friends they decided to try it while they had nowhere else to go for a while. They both said they were sick of being on the ship about 2 weeks in. Then they said that passed and by the end they didn't want to go home. They booked 2 more cruises with me the same year. I guess once you get past that original yearning for home you still get the disembarkation bules.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 AM

F-mattox, I think your "cruise saturation point" may depend on your long, long time spent cruisin' as a professional performer.
At last, that was a job not a real vacation (although playing is a special kind of job ... it's playing!) and maybe you've burned that way a big part of your "cruise fuel distance".

I haven't even discovered my "c.s.p.".
Maybe I'll do, but after many, many cruises ... so I look forward to find it out.

All I can say, is that I realized the first disembarkation when walking on the dock with my handbag I looked up to the sun deck ... and really felt a lump in my throat.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:06 PM

I have NEVER reached a "cruise saturation point". The longest cruise I've been on is a week, but I still dread the last morning. Seems like my wife and I ALWAYS get in a fightg the last morning...both of us hate to leave. Never get tired of dressing up, getting waited on, being entertained, and no patients to see that day!

Closed Thread

Tags
blues, caribbean, chat, cruise, debarkation, depressing, depression, disembarkation, elk, final, ikea, meatballs, metballs, morning, royal