Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 02:15 PM

Hi, I was think about taking a cruise with my wife and two kids. Is cruising really that good of a vacation? What are some of the best ports of call for families? Any info will help.

Thank You
Old 09-22-2007, 03:07 PM

I've only done sixty cruises so I can't tell you if it is that good yet. I'm still deciding. You can cruise destinations around the world and there are many exciting destinations. Most first timers cruise is in the Caribbean. Some of the islands I think families enjoy are St Thomas/St John, Cozumel, Jamaica (Dunn River Falls), Grand Caymen (swimming with the Stingrays), and Bahamas (Atlantis Resort). You can enjoy any of the islands for a beach day and snorkeling. Other islands may have things that appeal to you also like, volcanoes, rain forest, zip lines, kayaking, river tubing. Find a cruise oriented travel agent that can help determine which cruise line and which islands suit your needs.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Laughing at the last post. We stopped counting at 50 cruises (since many are longer cruises its probably over 20 months at sea) and still have not decided whether cruising is a good thing. But, we intend to keep trying cruising until we make up our minds.

Hank
Old 09-22-2007, 08:27 PM

IMHO cruising is the most relaxing way to go. We love the Mexican Riviera, and Alaska. I have met very few people who did not like cruising.

It might help if you let us know the age of the kids and the length of cruise you would like.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Hello newcruiser533, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I took my first cruise in November of 1993. I heard someone say that cruising could become addicting. My first thought was, Could crusing really be that good? How will I ever know unless I try if for myself? Well, that was 39 cruises ago. Need I say more...

Sonny
Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 AM
It is really that good I have only done 1 and am ready for another and I had such a wonderful time I have talked 15 of my family members into joining me on this next one.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-24-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newcruiser533:
Hi, I was think about taking a cruise with my wife and two kids. Is cruising really that good of a vacation? What are some of the best ports of call for families? Any info will help.

Thank You
Cruising is one of the best vacations to take especially for couples with children. The fun factor is off the charts. There are various activities to do for adults and children. You and your children will meet many cool and interesting people while on board and you will experience great cuisine. You will visit exotic places and participate in thrilling or relaxing excursions.

Also, it is the most economical way to travel. Your price includes cabin, food, drinks and entertainment. How much would lodging, food and entertainment cost for a family of 3 for a week on a non-cruise type vacation? If it is not all inclusive, I'm thinking it could get pretty expensive.

Try it at least once, you'll love it.

Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 09-24-2007, 07:51 AM

You get to visit many locations without repacking. And you don't have to do any of the driving once you are on the ship.

You get to go out to dinner (and lunch and breakfast) every night without having to drive there, or decide where to go, or how much to pay/tip, etc. Plus, if you don't like your order, get something else!

You can let everyone in your group roam the ship without worrying that they will get lost - they can only go so far! So you can tell the kids to get "lost" for a bit, and feel comfortable that you won't lose them.

There is always something to do for everyone. Shows, games, tours, classes, gambling, drinking, swimming, sleeping, working out, dancing, singing, eating, etc.

The view of the ocean is better than ANY view you will have from a hotel. And the view changes from port to port.

Consistently good food - sometimes great food.

Excursions - opportunities to do things you could never do at home.

Cheap shopping.

Excellent service.

Cost effective.

"Wow" factor.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

That depends on your definition of good.....

If having someone entertain your children while you and your spouse get some alone time is good

If doing excursions with the family together doing things you would never do at home is good

If getting all of this for a week for less than the price of spending 4 days at Disney World is
good

Then, yes it is really that good!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 AM

The answer is easy for me ... YES Cruising is the best buy. If you do a breakdown of what it would cost you for the same aminities on a land package you will find a cruise is a bargain. I am not sure exactly how many I have been on, just know that I am looking forward to the next one. Cruises are fun for all ages.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, good, reviews, times