Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Adult Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/19453-adult-cruises.html)

kclvt 07-28-2005 10:52 AM

Are there any cruise lines for just adults (or over 18)? Not that I am against children but I've had mine and now it is ME time.....I don't want to swim(be splashed)or eat dinner with young ones running up the aisles in the dining room, or trying to watch the shows at 9pm at nite with a child crying behind me.
Thanks for any info you can supply me with.

thomas stanton 07-28-2005 12:19 PM

KC
I don't know of any, but if you do find one please advise some of the rest of us. I would be very interested and I know of oters that would be also.It seem's that the children running loose is getting worse every year.And it doesn't matter which cruise line, we have tried most of them and they all have the problem.The parent's are on a cruise so they turn the kid's loose, what can happen we are on a ship is their attitude.No consideration for fellow passengers!We have been on the Century the last few time's we have cruised and it is even getting bad on that ship.Like I said if you find one let us know.Tom

Raoul Fiebig 07-28-2005 12:39 PM

kclvt,

P&O Cruises operates two "kids-free" ships, "Artemis" (formerly Princess Cruises' "Royal Princess") and the new "Arcadia", launched earlier this year.

Also, Saga Holidays is not only "adults only", but "seniors only". This large British tour operator owns two former Cunard ships, "Saga Ruby" (formerly "Vistafjord" / "Caronia") and "Saga Rose" (formerly "Sagafjord") and accepts passengers 50 or older only (a companion may be 40 or older).

The infamous easyCruise (!) is adults-only as well, but as this is truly an "anti cruise line", I would never sail with them, personally.

susanmaz 07-28-2005 01:27 PM

Let's not forget the old stand-by, HAL. Our Alaskan trip in early September had only 3 kids that I saw, a 12yo girl and two teenage boys who spent their time playing table tennis. Our next HAL cruise was to the Sea of Cortez in October - a few more children given the itinerary, but I didn't see more that maybe 25....lots of folks in the 55+ range.....

oppis 07-28-2005 01:39 PM

Our experience is, that you find on the longer cruises, 11 nights or longer, less children then on the short cruises.
And you have to watch the holiday seasons.
We have been on a 14-night-cruise with the Zenith in february this year and there were less then 10 kids on board. And for example, they were not allowed to take the elevators without their parents.
But they told us, that they also have up to 300 children on some shorter cruises and that on a Celebrity ship. I didnt expect that. I thought people with kids would prefer going on RCCL, Carnival or Disney ships.

Marita

kclvt 07-28-2005 01:51 PM

We just came back from RCCL - lots of kids in my opinion walking in and out of the dining room all during dinner - I do have to say there were a few that were very well behaved.....also one mother with 2 children in the solarian pool at 8am - RCCL person went over and spoke to her - must have told her they weren't suppose to be there - hours were suppose to be noon to 4 with parental supervision....
Kids in elevators just riding up and down taking up space.......
not my cup of tea!!!! There weren't as many kids on our April 2004 - Eastern Caribbean cruise but they were also in school - so we booked our next one for April 2006 hoping it will be quiet - sorry....thats what the Disney Cruise is for!

Oggy Boy 07-28-2005 02:43 PM

Oceania also doesn't appeal to many children. Not many facilities to entertain them and longer , more exotic itineraries.

Tom

NEWBIE ROSE 07-28-2005 10:34 PM

a little off topic here but how does one pronounce "oceania"?

Raoul Fiebig 07-29-2005 02:08 AM

Rose,

I'm having some problems writing down phonetic transcriptions in English, but the pronounciation should be very close to "oh-she-anna".

Oggy Boy 07-29-2005 09:30 AM

Raoul, you are right on the money. There is an interesting history behind the name. When first formed, the cruise line was going to use the name "Oceana" however, one of the other cruise lines (I believe Princess) had already taken the name for a potential future ship. The company was forced to change the name to Aceania, however it is pronounced Oceana.

Tom