Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

How many of you would sign up for the following vacation?
Day 1 and 2: Days at sea (sailing to destination)
Days 3,4,5 : Stay at all inclusive resort
Day 6 and 7: Days at sea (coming back from destination)

There has always been a debate between all-inclusive resorts and cruises. This would combine the two. Logistics would have to be worked out but the idea could take hold.

Sodey
Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 PM

The resort would be subject to the real estate rule of "location, location, location." I wouldn't do it if the resort was in the Bahamas or Jamaica (not even a Sandals resort). I much prefer being afloat versus a land-based vacation. I wouldn't want to unpack on the ship, then pack up for the resort. Then have to pack again at the resort and unpack again on the ship, only to have to repack to disembark.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't be interested. A big part of the cruise is as drlivingston said - not having to do the packing up and moving back and forth. Experienced cruisers do it because of the ship time - at least I do. I couldn't care less about staying at a resort and using the ship as a ferry service, which is what it would be.

And really, isn't what was postulated just a variation on a Bermuda cruise - except in that case the ship is the resort hotel?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 PM
A number of years ago we had a similar experience
flew to Athens spent a day/night ...cruised for 2 days around the islands , spent a week on Rhodes, cruised 2 more days/nights around the islands then another day/night in Athens then flew home

We enjoyed the trip even though we had to pack up after a few days
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 05-21-2008, 04:38 PM
No thanks. The ship IS an all-inclusive resort.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:41 PM

You already can take Discovery over to the Bahamas, stay at your choice of hotel and come back a few days later.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned

There are some islands, ports, etc... that I would like to visit for a longer time than just a day or a 1/2 a day. So how about cruises where you might stay 2 days in port at San Juan or 2 days in port at St. Thomas, etc... You could still sleep on the ship but you would have more time to explore. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Sodey
Old 05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Sodey,

That is what happens in Bermuda. The problem with most ports is that they can't dedicate the dock to one ship for that length of time. There are more cruise ships than docks and it really is a juggling act when you think about it - especially in the Caribbean and the Bahamas. Even if they were anchored and used tenders the traffic control becomes a problem.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM

And what does the Cruise Line do with the ship while the passengers are at the all-inclusive resort?

I doubt you will get a cruise line to go for the idea, since a multi-million dollar asset would be sitting there generating no revenue for 1/3 of the voyage.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 AM

You can do that in reverse order. Fly to San Juan or Barbados or another originating port, stay in an all-inclusive, catch your cruise and fly back from the originating port.

Closed Thread

Tags
back, concept, cruise, cruises, cuba, days, havana, inclusive, long, port, proposals, resort, ship, stays