Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Can Princess increase my fare??? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/19562-can-princess-increase-my-fare.html)

shana 06-11-2008 03:31 PM

Can Princess increase my fair once I have paid my deposit and insurance? Please say they can't increase my price until I pay the full amount! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...s/icon_eek.gif

<edit to correct subject of thread>

Dave 06-11-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Can Princess increase my fair once I have paid my deposit and insurance?
By the contract, yes, they can increase the fare for the cruise even after you paid in full. Does it happen? Virtually never, but it has. It is not something I'd worry about.

I ran amok earlier today about copying and pasting information, and edited two posts (including one of yours). However, copying of short excerpts is allowed and since the Princess Passage Contract is long and tedious, here is the pertinent excerpt from their contract:

"Carrier may collect any fare increase or fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the fare has already been paid in full."

What is important to note is this is boilerplate legal language that is probably in all cruise line contracts.

shana 06-11-2008 04:25 PM

Thank you for responding to me about this. I have only paid the deposit and insurance as of yet so should I pay in full or you think I am probably ok in paying the deposit until closer to the payment due date? Thanks for your helping. Shana

Dave 06-11-2008 04:32 PM

I wouldn't pay the balance until it is due. Why give them all of your money for that long? I don't and have never had my price increase in the interim. Often the price has gone down, and it is easier to get the new lower price assigned to your booking when you still owe them money.

shana 06-11-2008 05:47 PM

Aha, great thinking and I will remember that if they lower there price and I am not going to hand them the rest then until close to the due date. Thanks for the good advice. I have learned so much from talking with you all it is so appreciated you have no idea how helpful you all have been. Shana

Hank 06-16-2008 06:40 PM

I agree with Dave except would add the following comment. Those cruise contracts (almost as bad as airline contracts) are very one-sided and carefully written to give the cruise line all the rights. However, the Attorney General of Florida, Canadian law, and a few other states' Attorney General's have a different take on those contracts. Hence, Princess (actually Carnival Corp) and RCI Corp revised their original fuel surcharges so that they only applied to new bookings after the announcement date. Those, such as me, who had already paid the fuel surcharges on previously booked cruises received refunds (ours was credited on our cruises). One could deduce that this was only done after the Florida Attorney General publicly announced they were looking into the legality of the retroactivity of the surcharges. And than there was the threat of more than one class-action lawsuit. So, its a pretty good bet that once they have accepted your deposit they will not raise the cruise fares (cruise line provided air is another story).

Hank

Dwayne 06-17-2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't pay the balance until it is due. Why give them all of your money for that long? I don't and have never had my price increase in the interim. Often the price has gone down, and it is easier to get the new lower price assigned to your booking when you still owe them money.
This is great advice! Always book early, and don't pay the final until due. If the general cruise fare goes up, you are protected, if it goes down, you can get adjustments up until the due date. You can still get adjustments even if you have paid, but as Dave noted, it is easier if you haven't.

The cruise lines don't pay interest on your money, so why tie it up with them? Or worse, pay interest on a credit card when it is not necessary.

Dwayne

drlivingston 06-17-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by IslandCruz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wouldn't pay the balance until it is due. Why give them all of your money for that long? I don't and have never had my price increase in the interim. Often the price has gone down, and it is easier to get the new lower price assigned to your booking when you still owe them money.
Please understand that Dave's advice does not only apply to cruise lines. If you have a situation in which you can hold on to your money longer (i.e. zero percent apr for x months or pay a deposit now and the rest later without penalty) take advantage of the offer and reap the financial benefits rather than letting the megacorporation make all of the interest.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave 06-17-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

zero percent apr for x months or pay a deposit now and the rest later without penalty take advantage of the offer
I do that with John Deere when I need a new mower. I recently got a new zero-turn with no interest or payments for 12 months. When the due date comes I'll pay for it. Of course, these type deals also require the person to have a good FICO score.

drlivingston 06-17-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Of course, these type deals also require the person to have a good FICO score.
It is funny that you should say that, Dave. I was reading in Conde Nast Traveler magazine a few months ago and they noted that the average cruiser had a FICO score of 730. I have no idea where they got that score (as I have never had to disclose credit bureau info before a cruise) but they seemed confident in their data.