Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 AM

As we are getting closer to our cruise I would like some informaton/help on what little items are a near necessity. I have heard that an extension cord is nice, post it notes etc. I would like to see what the experts bring to make the trip more accomodating.

Also - I think I have read somewhere here about bringing copies of our passports and medical insurance, is that true? I appreciate everyone who puts their "two cents" in!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Copies of any important documents is always a good idea.

Post-it's could be a good idea to let others know where you have gone off to.

Bring lots of sunblock - it's very expensive to buy while cruising.

Other than that, as long as you have the essentials - clothing (not too much), bathing suit, medications, credit card, passport, etc. - you will be just fine. If you forgot anything else, you can prob do without it, or buy it if you really need it.

I'm sure some others will chime in with some ideas for other things to bring.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

I've never understood the need for extension cords and lots of other household-type stuff people haul along on their cruises. We've never had a problem with using the two outlets provided on most ships. Shipboard wiring isn't like a homes and plugging a bunch of things into one outlet isn't a good idea.

A color copy of your passport is a good idea to always have on hand. Depending on where your cruise is going, the only ID you will need with you is your cruise card and a photo ID (license or other official ID). Taking the passport copy ashore with you also works - they even specifically mentioned using a passport copy on our recent Alaskan cruise.

Post It Notes are a good idea. Don't overpack. Most people do so and end up with clothes they never wore while on the cruise. Don't be afraid to use the ship's laundry service.

Don't forget to submit a hold mail request with the post office.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
You're right, Dave; no need for an extension cord or power strip. But an "octopus" (plug in that accepts three plugs) does come in handy. We take three cameras, cell phone, tiny fan, and several other things that run on rechargable batteries.

And to the "hold mail" request, I would add "stop newspaper".

Rick
Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I would add "stop newspaper"
We always do it but they never get it right. We get two papers and inevitably when I pull in the driveway there will be at least two or three papers that have been sitting there for days.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 PM

A couple years ago someone on cruise-chat suggested taking one of those shoe-holders that goes on the back of a door. I went to a Dollar Store and bought one. I hang it on the back of the bathroom door and it holds all of our toiletries, suntan lotion, etc. It's great for keeping the small counter clutter-free.

It hardly takes up any room in the suitcase and we find it invaluable. Some might find it frivilous, but we think it's handy!

Don't forget extra memory cards for your digital camera! We used our binoculars quite a bit, too, when we were in Alaska.

Like Dave said, don't overpack. We ended up buying a couple sweatshirts and two light weight jackets in Alaska, in addition to the t-shirts and ball caps that my husband loves to pick up at each port. We had to buy another piece of luggage to ship the souvenirs home in--plus pay $50 for an extra piece of luggage at the airport! So, think ahead, and allow room for souvenirs!!

Planning is part of the fun of cruising. I have a big plastic container that I put cruise stuff in. I have already started to fill it for our trip in January!

Nadine
Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Administrator

In Juneau I saw two people who for whatever reason had bought pieces of luggage and brought them back to the ship. We ended up close to needing another piece. In fact we did check a bag for the trip home that we originally used as a carry-on. We were lucky to have first class air which gave us more leeway on the luggage and it's weight.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
A set of walkie talkies do come in handy at times...We use them both off and on the ship...reception is usually good, but now with the larger ships, it can be ify at times...still worth bringing along...a night light if you have an inside cabin is worth bringing along too....Happy Cruising...

Bob E
Old 07-08-2008, 02:14 PM
If anyone wears glasses - reading and/or sun - pack one of those repair kits ($1.99 at Walgreens); if you're going somewhere it might rain (ie Alaska), pick up $1 plastic rain ponchos; chewable Pepto for tummy aches - you don't want to go to the infirmary for overeating..or pay alot of $$ for it in the ship's store. Unless you are truly enamored of your lotions and shampoos, don't bother packing them - you'll find them in your cabin. If you use an older camera, make sure you have spare batteries.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Along with an eyeglass repair kit, bring along a spare set of glasses too.

We also bring a night light. It is especially important for an inside cabin, where "dark" has a whole new meaning when trying to find the light switch or the bathroom door.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruisers, ideas, laundry, leave, passport, shipboard, understood