Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 07:59 PM

Can any of the informed cruise travellers tell me if they know of any cruises that have classical chamber music groups eg string quartets on board for nightly entertainment. I have a professional ensemble and we would love to work on board cruises.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes. Princess uses string quartets. I don't know if it is fleetwide, but I have seen them on Island, Golden and Sapphire Princess.

I also saw a piano trio on Holland America's Veendam.

Best of luck to you; it's a great gig. I did it for five years back in the mid-70's.

Rick
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks for your speedy reply Rick. I'm going to contact the ships you suggested. What kind of group were you in ? or were you a solo gig ?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 AM
I worked with two different groups that played for dancing and backed the shows. One did mostly standards and show tunes and the other was pop/rock. I played Fender Bass in one and keyboads in the other.

Both the Princess and Holland America websites have contact information for those seeking employment with them. And while you are at it, I'm sure the more upscale lines use chamber groups. I would suggest contacting Crystal Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Celebrity Cruises and Cunard Line.

Again, good luck to you.

Rick
Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 AM

I really appreciate your help with this. I'll start doing my homework straight away and I'll let you know how I go.
p.s. I guess as a electric guitar and keyboard player you didn't play as many 'dead German composers' as I do which reminds me... I like your icon.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
Can any of the informed cruise travellers tell me if they know of any cruises that have classical chamber music groups eg string quartets on board for nightly entertainment. I have a professional ensemble and we would love to work on board cruises.
Thanks in advance.
Oceania also has string quartets
most are from Poland.... very good musicians
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Serendipity, I was a trombone major in college with my sights on a symphonic career; but rhythm sections players were the only ones working all the time--and besides, I got tired of counting rests. I was a cabaret musician for 30 years, but classical has always been my first love; and Ludwig Van is my Man.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Royal Caribbean has string quartets too - they use Rosario Strings but I believe that company provides groups for more than one cruise line.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:42 PM

They were on the Emerald last November, too. In fact, Costa had two classical pianists playing outside the dining room before main seating. Maybe they are all using classical musicians. It is so very soothing and adds just a touch of elegance before dinner or for afternoon tea (on board Princess).
Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Thanks guys ! You inpired me to keep looking.
I found a ship board entertainment business called Proship Entertainment that my groupcan audition for. I will send a DVD. They're in Canada but if I can impress them enough they say they book musicians from all over the world. Must go, I have to do some practise....

Closed Thread

Tags
chamber, classical, cruisline, groups, quartets