Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I try to reduce the amount/size of toiletries.
Instead of bringing along:
-that bulky aerosol can of deodorant
-that big, heavy, bulky container of shampoo
-etc. etc.
I get those 3.5 ounce (100ml) containers and squeeze the shampoo into one of them.

I get the 3.5 ounce container with a pump sprayer on top, and spray my deodorant, Lysol, and other aerosol liquids into these containers. There is usually a travel size of hair spray for sale in the stores, so I don't have to do this for the hair spray.

I also squeeze Sun Tan lotion into these containers.

Usually, these compact toiletries will last through out the 7 days of my cruise, and they will save me allot of space and weight in my bags.

Make sure you do this if you travel through the airport. You can only travel with liquid items in containers of 3.4 oz (100ml) capacity or less, contained in a Quart(Liter) sized ziplock-style plastic bag. Otherwise leave your liquid items in your checked baggage. There are no liquid restrictions for checked baggage.

Also, organizing the other items in several large 1 gallon+ ziplock bags really helped me. For example:
- Medicines in one ziplock bag
- Important documents in another bag
- Reading matierials in another bag
- Ipod, digital camera and cables, adapters in another bag
- etc. etc.
This really worked-out well for me. When I needed something from my luggage, I was able to find it fast, as a result.

Yes, I understand your packing problems. No matter how hard I try, I always overpack.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Since we usually have to fly to the port, we have learned tips through the year. Don't double up on items you can share. For example one of us packs the toothpaste, the other one carries shampoo. One of us will also have a travel size sample in our carry on.
I also roll my clothes which reduces space and wrinkles.

Need some cruise help?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Don't forget that if you're flying, all of the airlines but Southwest now charge for bags - we were surprised to find out that US charges $15 per bag for the first bag and more for each additional bag - no freebies! Also - there's a 50 pound weight limit - go over one ounce and it's another $50! As a result everyone is trying to carry on regular size bags which creates a lot of issues and delays loading the plane. After all of the extra charges and delays we've decided to choose ports we can drive to.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM

I'm on a vacation of a lifetime so I want to look my best & wear things that I don't get a chance to wear back at home. I bring 2 mid-size suitcases. I have a different outfit for each night, bathing suits, & casual clothes for the daytime. I have noticed that you do spend quite a bit of time in a your bathing suit so now I don't bring so many shorts only a couple of pairs. As far as shoes go I bring plenty but I have some that are better for walking & some for the night time. I also bring a carryon & fill that the best I can. I still have room in both of my suitcases so I can buy things & still have space to bring them home.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 PM

I cannot downsize on my packing, but I do wear everything I bring. I only get to cruise once or twice per year, so I like to dress for dinner and have all my girlie stuff, cuz I love the "getting ready" area, and take my time, have a glass of wine, and then appear at the Champagne Bar for one to take in the dining room. Ahhhhh....embarking in 90 hours, who is counting...ME !
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006