Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 06:05 AM

Hi all,
I have questions > to put a long story short, myself (33) and my girlfriend (37) from Australia are heading to the US East Coast for a nice vacation in October and looking at some reasonable Caribbean cruise specials...
They are:
HAL Volendam - 7Nt Western Caribbean and
Celeb. Century - 7Nt Eastern Caribbean
We'll go for an inside cabin. We're not party hard people, have no kids - just looking for a comfortable room, good food, nice ship... There are so many reviews out there, so confusing - just wanted to know if anyone had strong opinions, either on the ships, or the destinations (eg. is eastern or western carib better?)... From what I read, both ships look good but need something to push me to one or the other... all the best everyone.
Joe.
sunny Queensland...
Old 06-10-2003, 06:05 AM

Hi all,
I have questions > to put a long story short, myself (33) and my girlfriend (37) from Australia are heading to the US East Coast for a nice vacation in October and looking at some reasonable Caribbean cruise specials...
They are:
HAL Volendam - 7Nt Western Caribbean and
Celeb. Century - 7Nt Eastern Caribbean
We'll go for an inside cabin. We're not party hard people, have no kids - just looking for a comfortable room, good food, nice ship... There are so many reviews out there, so confusing - just wanted to know if anyone had strong opinions, either on the ships, or the destinations (eg. is eastern or western carib better?)... From what I read, both ships look good but need something to push me to one or the other... all the best everyone.
Joe.
sunny Queensland...
Old 06-10-2003, 09:08 AM

I'd go for the Celebrity one. I've been told by my travel agent that HAL are somewhat more for older cruisers and Celebrity are aimed at adult couples.

HTH

Sylvia
Old 06-16-2003, 04:27 AM

Hi Joe,

Also Bne, I have heard the Celeb have great food, and I would assume that a western itin would be better. I have sailed the Carib, (small yacht) and cruised with Princess. Feel free to ask away.

Mich
Old 06-16-2003, 09:34 PM

We have not sailed HAL. Previous to our Celebrity cruise last year, we preferred Princess, but have 2 more Celebrity cruises booked right now, 14 days to both the British Isles and Norwegian Fjords, and also South America. I much prefer the Western Caribbean, but if the choice depended on ship's, I would pick Celebrity. There's one thing that you must keep in mind, is that is peak hurricane season in the tropics, so really don't count on arriving at any port. If a storm is in your path, the cruise will change path and could land antwhere. Just within the past couple of days, they've upped the estimates estimates of named storms and hurricanes for the season. I certainly don't want to appear as a pessimist, but you might want to give the Mexican Riviera a try at that time of year. If I can offer anymore advice, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Tom & Mary-Contributing Editors's Avatar

IMHO, there is no comparision. We have sailed on HAL when their reputation was intact. It is no longer the line it was. Everything they do has gone done hill.

We have sailed on Celebrity 10 times and it is a much better line in all respects.

Regards,
Tom & Mary

Tom & Mary
(The Honeymooners)
Old 06-19-2003, 11:30 AM
We have been on one Celebrity cruise (Mercury) versus five HAL cruises (Westerdam, Veendam, Maasdam, Statendam, and Zaandam). All of these cruises, plus four others with Carnival and RCI, have been at least good, including our Mercury cruise. Some have been very good, and our cruises on the Veendam and Maasdam were excellent! We will agree with Tom & Mary to a certain extent of HAL's slow decline. The Statendam and our very last cruise, which was in Feb, the Zaandam, were only good.
On thing is for certain, any cruise is better than no cruise! What ever line and ship you choose, whether on the Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary, you will enjoy!
Happy cruising!

"Sea" you,

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 06-19-2003, 08:20 PM

The worse cruise I have ever been on was better than the best day at work....It goes without saying. How lucky we are to critique the best life has to offer.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
brisbane