Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Among the main stream cruise lines (CCL,RCL,NCL)-who is charging the highest drink prices?

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 AM

Between Carnival and Princess, they were about the same. Haven't been on NCL, RCL or HAL in the last couple of years, so can't comment there. I tend not look at the receipts or the bill until the end of the cruise. Don't want to spoil the moment
Old 08-31-2006, 11:56 AM

I have a question. I know drinks are not free while on the cruise.
However I was told that all food is included. So why is it that I hear
people talk about paying for different food items on the ship?
Never cruised before. I'm going in September and would like someone to
explain to me what food is included and what is not.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator

SMG,

What you have been hearing is people talking about the alternative dining options that are pretty much commonplace on cruise ships these days. Most cruise lines now have "upscale" restaurants on their ships, where you can eat for an extra fee. These restaurants offer better cuts of beef, specialty seafood, Italian cuisine, etc. These places are akin to dining in a big time restaurant in NYC. A typical fee is $20 per person. On RCCL ships, they also have Johnny Rockets with a $3.95 per person fee.

One can also find charges for specialty coffees and pastries at the cruise ship equivalent of a Starbucks. And you will find extra-fee ice cream on some cruise lines. RCCL has Ben and Jerry's stores on some ships, and Princess has Haagen-Dazs.

All main dining room food, buffet food, and room service is included in your cruise price. With the exception of Johnny Rockets on Royal Caribbean, I've not gone to the extra-fee restaurants and I've not felt deprived nor hungry!
Old 09-01-2006, 01:10 PM

You can go the entire cruise and not spend a dime for food. The main dining room which is included is out of this world. Top notch steaks, chicken, seafood...and all you can eat. The biggest difference in the upscale dining areas that cost $20 per person is that you get a more intimate experience where you can have a table for 2 instead of 6. A waist of money in my opinion. The buffet if also very good not to mention all the other free options. Room service food is also very good, especially the turkey sandwich. Have a great time and be ready to loosen your belt!!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:56 AM

Good info. But do tip the room service.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:39 PM

On NCL a half litre of Heiniken (including auto tip) is about $6.30. Bearing in mind that there is no VAT or alcohol duty and they are probably buying in bulk at a price of around 70 cents a litre, it's a pretty stiff price, more than I'd pay in my local pub, all taxes included!

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, beverage, cruise, drink, equivalent, forums, ncl, prices, princess, rcl, starbucks