Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I was having a browse on the German cruise line site Aida and to my surprise spotted that they were doing a mystery cruise at the end of October.This is the kind of cruise where you know which port you are departing from & you know where you end up but you have no idea about where you are going to inbetween.

They did such a cruise in the UK in 2007 and only captain & chief purser knew where they were going to.The ship's monitors were switched off so the route could not be seen. Passengers with GPS trackers had them taken away for the trip.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/ho...-mystery-cruise.html

Do you think that some of the big cruise lines like Carnival,RCI,Princess or Hal would ever consider doing a mystery cruise? Would any of you like to go on a mystery cruise or do you prefer to be in control about choice of itinerary ?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I don't like surprises so it wouldn't work for me. I can't see Carnival, RCI, etc., doing it either unless it was a charter. The passenger demographics for those lines wouldn't fit. People want to plan excursions for the most part. Flying by the seat of your pants works primarily with well-traveled people with lots of stamps in their passports.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
An interesting concept. Of course, leaving from Southampton, the possibilities are many.

We actually had something similar on the West Coast a couple of years ago. Between the flu scare in Mexico and a couple of larger-than-normal Pacific hurricanes, if you boarded a ship in L.A. you were never quite sure where you were going.

I kind of like the idea since for me, the destination is really secondary to the ship. I would love to cruise on Saga Rose sometime.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 PM

I don't think this would work for me, either. I don't think any of the major cruise lines here would do it. Going from Florida, there are only a couple options; The Bahamas or the Caribbean. Going from the Mid-Atlantic, there are also only a couple choices: Bermuda, and New England / Canada.

On the Saga Rose cruise, did the passengers know how long they would be gone (example, 7 nights, 10 nights, etc.), or was that also a mystery? It didn't specify in the article.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 09-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I do think I like it, like F-mattox sometimes the ship is the destination. I think as long as I know the time frame I would find it rather fun! I wonder what the Ships newspaper would say each evening about the port you would be pulling into the next day? What a race back to the room after Dinner !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

I would do it, with some caveats. Of course, I'd need to know the embarkation and debarkation ports, and the length of the cruise, which sounds like a given, anyway. I would also want shore excursions included in the deal (and guaranteed, although more adventurous pax could opt out) so that I could get the most out of the port visits, as researching ports before the cruise could prove useless. I would also want to have some guidelines as to what to pack.

Yes, this is a niche cruise that would be pretty much have to be offered as a full-ship charter.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 PM

This would be a great idea. Just that everyone would have to know how long the cruise will be. We do this a lot with bus tours. We just know when to meet, how long the tour is and that's all.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM

I think it would be a ball, as long as it was in warm weather