Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Island Princess CA to FL March 22 15 nights $250 more than RCCL 14 night Oct. 26th
Is it worth the extra $500 for my husband and I to pick this cruise over RCCL. Also is the weather or seas any better or worse spring to fall?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Tough question!

It is no mystery how I feel about Princess, and especially Island Princess. Is it worth $500 more? Only somebody who has been on both could really answer that; and even then you wouold probably get different answers depending on their individual likes and dislikes.

If I were you, I would get as much information as possible, brochures, etc. on each ship, and read reviews of each and ask specific questions. As you get more information I think you will find yourself leaning toward one or the other.

Personally, I have always felt I received good value for my cruise dollar with Princess. I feel that I got what I paid for--usually, even more than what I paid for.

I don't think there would be much difference in the seas, but I have always enjoyed spring weather more than fall in hot and humid climates.

I really don't see how you can go wrong with either choice here. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise with either line in either season--the is no wrong answer here.

Rick
Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks! Let me ask you this- where could I get the best deal purchasing the cruise...directly through the cruiseline, a travel agent, or online like dargal.com???
Old 04-22-2007, 11:22 AM
There has been a LOT of discussion about that recently; the answer seems to be you have to shop for the best price. Just remember, the best price is not always the best deal.

I don't like to spend a lot of time shopping so for most cruises I just book directly at princess.com

But for more involved trips I use a travel agent that specializes in cruises.

We also have several very knowledgable travel agents that are members of this forum, in case you need a place to start.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I think...
I will definetly check out all options when planning my next cruise. The last time I went directly through the cruise line...I heard a lot about "upcoming discounts, savings certificates, etc..." and none of them panned out. Yesterday I was trying to locate a cruise for my father and ended upfinding a better price and better room (same ship, deck, dates) through online than directly with the cruise line. The Panama cruise sounds wonderful but pricey. We're already going on a big cruise in Oct, so even though March weather would be better...don't think we can swing the money...maybe we'll wait for '09 or go in Oct with RCL.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:43 PM
I didn't mean to imply that booking directly with the cruise line was necessarily the cheapest way to go--just the easiest--for me.

I know exactly what I want, right down to the cabin number, so all I need is somebody to take my order; I don't like to spend a lot of time comparison shopping.

No matter when you go or on which line, you really must do the Canal trip--it's breathtaking; and a balcony cabin is a must!

Rick
Old 04-23-2007, 02:45 PM
That's what I like, someone who knows what they want! Care to share the best kept secret-- cabin number???
Thanks for your input!!!
We're def. going!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey, Rick- another question...someone mentioned instead of flying out of FL to CA a little bit shorter Panama Canal cruise to Mexico from FL may be the way to go. What is your thought on that?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Hello again; I see Princess has a 10 day Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco and an 11 day reverse. This would be fine if time or resources are limited. I prefer longer cruises with more sea days which is what I get with the Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.; and I only have one flight. I can't remember if you live in Florida, or I'm thinking of someone else--If you do, either the L.A. or Acapulco to Ft. Lauderdale would be great--they are both on Island Princess; it just depends if you want 11 or 15 days.

The best kept secret on Coral Princess and Island Princess is mini-suite B205 and B206; they are high and all the way forward (not a good location for someone prone to motion sickness); But the two cabins in front of them don't have balconies and there are no balconies above-only the bridge--so they have privacy and no smoke wafting in; and practically no foot traffic past the door. Plus you are steps away from the panoramic front balcony which is hardly ever used; it's like a private balcony with a foward view.

So there: the cat's out of the bag! But be forewarned--you'll have to book over a year in advance to beat me to it!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
No worries here..hubby gets seasick sometimes (rare...but wouldn't chance it) We most def. will look into the shorter cruise dates. Thanks so much.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, b205, b206, coral, island, location, mini, motion, people, princess, rccl, room, ship, sickness, suite