Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Booking cruise with air advise (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/20794-booking-cruise-air-advise.html)

tttrrr 01-23-2009 08:05 PM

I have been checking out some cruises and noticed some you have to book air seperately on your own. I know you have to really watch your times, but other than that any other advice? I seem to be having a hard time finding flights to Fort Lauderdale from Calgary. I'm pretty sure it's because it's too early Nov 2010. How early can you usually book flights anyways? I was hoping to get a price idea befor I book any cruises. Sorry for any dumb questions. Still new to traveling.

Sandy 01-23-2009 10:17 PM

Most cruise lines will sell you airfare too, however, you can often find better pricing if you do air on your own. It's always a good idea to ask the price of the cruise line's airfare and transfers, so you know how to evaluate your own research.

Airfare generally becomes available about 330 days prior to travel. Airfare for November 2010 should be out sometime in January 2010.

If possible, it's a good idea to fly to Ft. Lauderdale the day before your cruise departs. This gives you a little extra wiggle room if there are airline delays due to weather, mechanical delays, schedule changes, etc.

If you fly to Ft. Lauderdale the day your cruise leaves, the earlier the flight, the better. You can get onto the ship as of about noon or so, and start your vacation then. You HAVE to be checked in at the pier no later than two hours prior to sailing.

For departures, if you're flying out of Ft. Lauderdale from a ship that comes into Ft. Lauderdale, they generally recommend that you plan a flight that leaves no earlier than 11:30am or so. Again, check with your travel agent or with the cruise line for specific recommendations.

Sandy

tttrrr 01-24-2009 05:01 AM

Thank you very much for the info. I was scared to do them seperate because i didn't want to make any mistakes. I hear it's alot cheaper to do it on your own. I will definately fly out a day early and stay in a hotel. I never know how the weather will be in November in Alberta canada I can be wearing short or in the middle of a blizzard.

Sandy 01-24-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

I never know how the weather will be in November in Alberta canada I can be wearing short or in the middle of a blizzard.
It's the same here in the Washington DC area, although I know Calgary gets more snow than we do. It's always safer to arrive in the departure city the day before the cruise.

The other thing you should think seriously about is buying cancellation/interruption insurance. It can make a big difference if something does happen to delay your arrival.

Sandy

Sandy 01-24-2009 06:50 PM

tttrrr, I revised what I said about availability of airfare for November 2010. Since prices come out about 330 days prior to travel, rates will become available sometime in January 2010.

If you do airfare on your own for November 2010, you'll have to wait about a year to make your reservations.

Sandy