Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 02:35 AM

Hi,

I am planning a short 4 days cruise to Baja Mexico, with a 9 months old baby.

Can anyone give me any advice to help my baby's first cruise more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-02-2002, 02:35 AM

Hi,

I am planning a short 4 days cruise to Baja Mexico, with a 9 months old baby.

Can anyone give me any advice to help my baby's first cruise more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2002, 03:02 PM

How can I put this diplomatically - don't go or leave the infant home! A 9 month old baby is too young to put in the close environment of a cruise ship with its attendant germs. Does Norwalk virus sound familiar. Furthermore, Mexico is a third world country. Beautiful but in many respects primitive. Have you ever heard of "Montezumas Revenge"? Why would you want to take the chance of your infant contracting something in a country that has very primitive health standards!
Old 12-08-2002, 07:42 PM

You're brave, but I think it can be done! I've got two little ones who haven't been cruising, but who've travelled about quite a bit.

First I would check to make sure that the ship you're on can offer appropriate bedding and accomodate you in the dining area (i.e. a crib, diaper pail, high chair etc). You might check to see if babysitting is offered for infants if you'd like some time out during a nap or in the evenings.

Re health: if your child is on formula, make sure you bring lots of the premixed stuff in order to avoid using any unfamiliar water as mix (even if clean, a change in water can prompt nasty diarhea). If your child's on milk already, you might want to switch back for the trip. If nursing, have Mom drink bottled water and eat only ship-board food. Bring jarred baby-food and avoid feeding your child anything from restaurants on shore. Don't forget disinfecting baby wipes and gel (everyone can use them). Bring pedialyte (sp?) just in case, and make sure that - if you immunize - your child's shots are up to date. Also make sure that you have out-of-country health insurance.

Since babes under 1 shouldn't really use sunscreen, bring lots of sun hats and light blankets for shading, and a good, compact stroller that can easily be folded up. Bring a few favourite toys/teethers that can easily be cleaned .

Your babe will probably really enjoy being around the pool and people watching on deck. Remember if going in the pool that it will probably be salt water and will require those swimming diapers to hold messes in. Keep trips ashore simple (just hang out and walk as many places as possible unless you want to add a car seat to your luggage).

Have fun; it'll work out

You can't have everything, where would you put it?

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, baby, baja, bring, cruise, cruising, ibaby, infant, inot, mexico, month, put, ship, swimming, young