Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I heard that cruising can be addictive. I maybe becoming a cruise addict, myself.

But, I have decided to limit myself to 1 cruise per year. Maybe due to finicial restraints or sensibilities. Maybe in the future, I will go on 2 per year.

However, I have seen some of the cruisetickers of the other members of this website. I noticed one member has three cruisetickers going. And the cruises are within a month of each other. Is that too many cruises, too soon?

Even if I could afford to do the same, I don't know if I would want to go on three cruises within a six month period. It might ware me out.

So, what would be the number of cruises, per year, you would limit yourself to, if money wasn't a consideration?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:08 AM

For me would still be 2. If I ever was in the position for Money not to be a consideration
Old 09-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Administrator

We have done as many as three cruises in one year, two cruises a few times, but usually just one. This is mostly because my rotating work schedule and the school calendar usually are not in synch.

For me the biggest hassle of a cruise is flying to and from the port. I have come to hate it. I've only driven to two cruises - both on the Holiday - and really liked not having to suffer the airports. But such is the life of a cruise geek who lives inland.

If money were no object and I lived within a 6 hour drive of more than one ship, I probably stick with 2 cruises per year. When I retire I'd probably increase to 3 per year.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 AM

Totally agree about the flying to and, even worse, from the cruise ports is what gets to you. When a cruise is over, one just wishes to be home. Next year will be the first time I will be going on a cruise which I will not have to fly to get to the ship.

This year my family was fortunate to go on 3 cruises. Feb, April and again in August. It is the second time we did three cruises in a year and it does take its toll a bit. Each required flying to and from. I suppose it would be much different if we lived in Fl or CA where you can drive to the ships. I could of gone on a 4th in November at a very discounted rate out of FLL but I told my wife, 4 is over the top. It will make the March, 07 just a little bit more enjoyable.
When I retire someday, heck during offseason months when the prices are very very good, I would go on one every two months if not more!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:36 AM

A true cruise fanatic will say "you can't cruise too often". But in reality, 2 cruises a year is a good number. Like Dave says, more than that is hard to schedule around.

I do live close enough to a cruise port so that helps in the cost. Although of the 3 cruise lines sailing from Galveston, they all seem to do the same initerary, so if you want something "different" you have to fly. But, it does allow one to take advantage a good deal if you get one.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 AM

If money were no object and I didn't have to work, I'd never stop. I'd get off one ship and get on another. I'd love to do 2 or 3 a year, but we usually can only afford 1. I really wanted to do 3 this year, get off the QM2 and get on the Costa Magica, but couldn't swing enough time off from work. I would have put it on my credit card and paid dearly, but that wouldn't have stopped me. I will end up having to work until they close the lid on my coffin, but given enough time off, I'd be on a ship as often as they sailed. I'm soooooo addicted
Old 09-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Members should know that penny3333 and me would love for Decatur, Alabama, to become a cruise port. Actually it is a periodic stop for the riverboats, but those really aren't my cup of rum, er, tea.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Well, Dave, you and Penny could buy the Norway from the scappers and start your own cruise company. (Heck you might even be able to get all those die hards in the Norway chat to chip in to buy her.) Penny could be captain and then she could cruise constantly...

Hmmm maybe if I win the megaball Lotto this weekend.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-15-2006, 12:27 PM

With a family, 2 a year would be perfect. Once I retire then the skys the limit. Actully, I would probably stick with 2 a year and travel around the county in between cruises. Wow, I better have a lot of money saved up by then.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Well, Dave, you and Penny could buy the Norway from the scappers and start your own cruise company. (Heck you might even be able to get all those die hards in the Norway chat to chip in to buy her.) Penny could be captain and then she could cruise constantly...

Hmmm maybe if I win the megaball Lotto this weekend.
Unfortunately, the channel in the Tennessee River is too shallow for the Norway's draft. I'd hate to pay the dredging bill!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruises, number, year