Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Mexican Rivera Cruise (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/21148-mexican-rivera-cruise.html)

Juanita Haynes 07-15-2008 07:41 AM

We are cruising in October on Princess to the Mexican Rivera. I heard that this trip is through rough waters.. Has anyone taken this trip and did you find the ride to be especially bad? We are going with some first time cruisers who are motion sensitive. We are on the Sapphire which is a big ship. I know that will help some. Thanks

SD Cruiser 07-15-2008 07:54 AM

I have done this trip three times, all from San Diego, once in late April, and twice in early December. On one of the December trips, we had one slightly rough day where two currents meet, either right before or right after Cabo (forget which). This is fairly common certain times of year, but we only experienced it that once. I have heard that the first day out of SD or LA and the last day back can be rough, but that was not our experience. However, some of our friends who went the week after us in December had a very rough day the last day of the cruise.

I thoroughly recommend the electronic seasick relief band for your friends. It is pricey (about $139), but in my opinion, well worth the price. I have been fine on all of my nine cruises, one with a very rough day in the Caribbean. I even dared to go on a cruise around Cape Horn and to Antarctica with it, but I must admit the waters were unexpectedly smooth. I use it on car trips also.

Juanita Haynes 07-15-2008 08:44 AM

Thanks for the sea band advice. Any "must sees" in any of the ports you recommend? Did you find any great beaches?

f-mattox 07-15-2008 10:47 PM

Hello Juanita;

my wife and I are on Sapphire Princess on the October 11 sailing. We have done this itinerary many times and there will occasionally be a rough day or two; but it is really only noticeable on the smaller ships. As you point out, Sapphire is a large ship and very stable. You are usually not even aware you are on a ship.

Not knowing your interests, it's hard to suggest a "must see"; for some, a zip line is a "must do": for me, it's a "must avoid at all costs".

But we usually spend our three port days like this;

Puerto Vallarta - taxi into town; walk around, window shop, visit the church, walk down to the river and have a cold one by the beach; walk the promenade back to the center town, and taxi back to the ship.

Mazatlan - taxi into old town; walk around, visit the Cathedral. Then taxi to the Golden Zone for lunch at the Shrimp Factory and some serious shopping. Maybe a swim at El Cid.

Cabo San Lucas - best beaches and water sports. Definitely take one of the excursions that takes you by boat to Los Arcos for a close look at one of the most famouse rock formations on the West Coast.

As I said, we've been there many times so we just play it by ear--whatever we happen to feel like when we get there. But if it's your and your friends' first trip there, you might want to stick with the ship excursions. You will see more in the time you have there.

Have a great cruise. Which date are you sailing? It would be fun if we are on the same one.

Rick

Juanita Haynes 08-09-2008 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the advice Rick. My group is on the October 18 sailing, sorry we won't meet up.
Alaska in 2009, maybe then. I have heard that the
local venders really pester you. Any advice there?

f-mattox 08-09-2008 01:43 PM

Usually a firm "no thank you" will do it; do not make eye contact, do not slow your pace, and do not show any interest in what they are selling. And never, never say, "I'll have to think about it."

Cruise Fanatic 08-09-2008 08:51 PM

I found the vendors particularly bad in Mazatlan.

Dwayne 08-09-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Usually a firm "no thank you" will do it; do not make eye contact, do not slow your pace, and do not show any interest in what they are selling. And never, never say, "I'll have to think about it."
Rick, that is excellent advice for any pushy vendor port. http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif

Dwayne

f-mattox 08-09-2008 10:53 PM

Thank you, Dwayne. And by the way, I like your new avatar; it's nice to finally get a look at you. I wish more members would do that. It's nice to be able to put a face on the people with whom you have been talking.

Jan, I agree: Mazatlan is the worst, especially by the cliff divers. And the beach at the Golden Zone can get pretty bad too. But then Mazatlan is the largest and poorest of the three usual ports.

Rick