Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 05:17 PM

I don't know if this is where I should ask this question but here goes. I am looking for a 12 to 14 day cruise/tour to Alaska but only want to spend 4 or 5 days cruising. I love to cruise but want to see more of Alaska this time. I heard folks tell about doing a short cruise then spending several days touring Alaska. I've been looking but can't seem to find anything. Anyone out there know a cruise line that offers this type of trip. I would sure appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Holland America offers 3/4 night cruises with land packages. They start in Anchorage and end in Vancouver or in reverse.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Holland America
Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Another vote for Holland America. Click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page for a grid that summarizes the six tours offered in conjunction with 3 or 4 night cruises.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

This is what we did in 2005,

We flew into Anchorage, rented a car and had hotel reservations in Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, GlenAllen and back in Anchorage. This took one week.

We spent a few days in Anchorage before taking the Carnival transfer to Whittier and cruising for another week down to Vancouver.

We have a special needs child, so the train was not an option. We require the flexibility that auto transportation afforded us.

Loved the West side of Alaska. Anchorage to Denali to Fairbanks was great. Loved the East side from Anchorage to milemarker 101 just past Palmer.

The Fairbanks to GlenAllen part we would never do again.

The highlight of the trip was walking on a glacier at milemarker 101 (East of Palmer) Sorry I can not spell the name of the glacier but you can't miss it. For a total of $30.00, we literally drove and parked right at the glacier. We followed a well marked trail (that changes daily) out onto the ice. You can walk quite a distance (to the picnic table) without special equipment. This was particularly wonderful because it was something our special needs son could do.

You can also rent the riggings and hire a guide if you want to go UP higher on the glacier. Of course that was not an option for us. But just walking on the glacier itself was amazing.

We can't do a lot of "excursions" because of his limitations....so this gave us an "experience" to bring back with us to share from our Alaskan trip.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM

I am planning one for Holland-America in 8-08. They offer a lot of different itineraries. Check out their website.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, child, cruise, cruisetours, special, tours