Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM

We are cruising in 2 weeks with our 2 year old. Any suggestions of "stuff" to bring along? And any other advice; besides not bringing him since that is not an option...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 AM

Welcome to cruise chat KarenSch! Cruising with a two year old. Hmmm... That's a tough one. On recent cruises, I have seen more and more parents opting to bring a small portable DVD player along to provide entertainment for the child. What cruise line are you taking? This will affect what "child-friendly" options that you have. Some cruise lines have much more tolerance of toddlers.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned

Karen, one little item you might want to consider bringing along is a small blow up pool that can be filled for your child for use on deck. It's going to be hot and the pools can get crazy with swimmers. Sometimes you can purchase them at the dollar store. They are reasonably inexpensive, and invaluable for your toddler.

Just a consideration.

A'ndrea
Old 07-06-2007, 07:22 AM

would the cruise line actually permit a blow up pool on the deck? if they do, i might even try it for myself haha
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I've never seen a blow-up pool on a cruise ship. How would you fill it? Where would you put it such that it wasn't in the way? Isn't this a liability issue for the line?

KarenSch, what ship are you taking? Depending on the ship, there may be a splash pool for toddlers. Cruise lines generally have rules against non-potty trained kids in any of the pools - even with rubber pants since leaks can happen.

Our son's first cruise was when he was 20 months. An umbrella stroller helped enormously. Also note that cruise ships don't provide baby food so you'll need to bring that along with you.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks so much for the info. We are sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas, Royal Caribbean. It will be our 5th cruise, but first with the little man. Supposedly they have a kiddy pool for the small ones. Our son is pretty active so we are not sure what we've gotten ourselves into!! For those of you who have sailed with little ones, how did it go?
Thanks....Karen
Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

Dave, I've seen it twice on cruises, set up near the children's pool. I'm not sure if this is part of Camp Carnival or if cruisers have brought their own. Once my husband and I witnessed a crew member filling the pool with a hose. We thought it was being done for children who were not yet potty trained, wearing diapers.

Not sure of the liability aspect. Good question though.

A'ndrea
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 AM

I also read on a few other boards about people bringing the small blowup type pools for their young children. They have set it up in an out of the way place between their chairs and have used buckets of pool water to fill up. Several stated they even donated to Camp Carnival after it's use. Their young children were still wearing diapers and chose not to take the chance of the contamination of the larger pools/slides. They stated they used the drains on the deck to unload the water. I am hoping my 3yr is fully potty trained by October...but if not I will be bringing a small pool. I can't imagine spending 7 days on board and not allowing him play and to get "wet" like his big brother!

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Banned

Good for you Michele. I don't blame you one bit.

A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, bring, bringing, cruise, cruising, dvd, line, member, mexican, norwegian, player, portable, reviews, riviera, ship, toddler, toddlers