Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 AM

Hi, we are booked to go on an Antartic cruise on le Boreal in Jan 2011. As this is a new ship doing this cruise, we are having difficulty working out what we need to pack eg evening wear, boots, jackets, waterproof pants etc etc. We have been told we will receive a full list of what to pack when the documents are issued. However as we are doing an extended trip to South America, I need a bit more time to work out what to pack for all occasions and functions. If any one has any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi Ninny,
I was not familar with le Boreal and went to the website, the ship is fantastic can't wait to hear about this cruise, this should be over the TOP ! I am also going to Antarctic, ship is leaving out of Buenos Aires but I am going on a much larger ship with Celebrity and when cruising Elephant Island, Gerlach Straight and Paradise Bay we will not be getting off in and going ashore in Zodiaks which I think you are doing. We go to several ports in Argentina which will be summer, so we are told 80 degrees etc but when getting down towards the Cape Horn and heading out to Antarctica it could be 60's or 40's. I didn't spend alot of time on le Boreal website but you may fine much more information there. Dining looks fabulous and Resort Casual may be fine. When your in a Zodiak you may want to look at L L Bean for some light but very warm jakets and hats. It is a little bit different packing summer and some winter clothes but look were we are heading !! Well worth it ! Hope this helps a little and we are both almost there...

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-23-2010, 07:22 AM
We were looking at Silversea cruise to the Arctic
They provide a package you can purchase plus provide a parka
I would check if they do the same before you go spending $$
Check list here.

Found this site they have Le Boreal on the list of ships they supply see here.

Edited to provide links.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Looking at the website everyone has on the same coats. So I'm thinking they will issue you gear. When I went to Antarctica I took my military parka and wore it. But at the same time, people were walking around in shorts on the island. I took my own boots, but the ship also provided boots. I would plan to take clothes you can layer if need be. I would wait and find out though if the ship is providing any rain gear, parkas, etc.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Thank you all so much for your help. I hadn't come across those web sites before. Loved the Ship to Shore site - seems to answer a few of our problems! We are so excited about the whole trip which takes in the Galapagos, Amazon, Christmas with our daughter in Quito, 28 days tour of Peru, Argentia etc before the Antartica, then on to London to our son before returning to Australia - 10 weeks in total - but keep the luggage to 23 kgs??? and cover every eventuallity. So thank you all for your valuable advice for this part of our trip.
Cheers Ninny
Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Ninny,
This ia all so wonderful for you. It sounds like your family is scattered all over the world and you are now finally going to see your daughter and son and have the most wonderful reunion with them. Please return to this site and tell us all about it. I am so happy for you and please have the best time !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Janfred,
Thank yhou for your reply. Yes we are very excited, particularly seeing the kids. Hopefully NEXT year they will all come home! I will report back next March how it all went. have a wonderful trip yourself.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:07 PM

Hi Ninny,
There are total of 11 Brisbane people comprising 3 families travelling on Le Boreal dep. Ushuaia Dec 18 to Antarctica. If you booked through A&K you should have all the information you need to know. If not & you still need to know more, please advise and let me know exactly what info. you are after. Best to hire boots due to aircraft weight restrictions. Only waterproof parka is supplied by Le Boreal but don't rely on it being sufficient to keep you warm and dry.

Tags
ak, antarctic, antarctica, antartica, boots, cruise, cruises, cruisse, gerlach, packing, port, reviews, straight, trip, week