Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 AM

Years ago when we first started cruising (1986)we used to keep a scrapbook with pictures, cancelled tickets, menu's, cruise cards, etc. until it became foolish to continue with all the albums. Today we keep an excel spreadsheet & hundreds of digital photo's of each trip. I was wondering what others do to keep track of their trips?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM

I do have photos, my old ticket/voucher packages, and Princess gives you something like a small passport that you can journal your cruises. Sadly, I don't keep a really good record. I should start some type of a journal for all cruises, not just my Princess ones.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Hi RichC
We have had the same problem as you. But now we put everything on computer and make a dvd of the whole trip. All our photographs are digital now anyway, other items we photograph and or scan in. Each photo also has it's own title and comments (all those little details that get forgotten). We end up with a great dvd of the whole trip, each section under it's own title so that we can pick and choose in the future. We also set each section to music purchased locally or obtained off the web which adds to the enjoyment of each playback. We can also run off copies to send to friends and fellow cruisers met on board.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 PM
I keep the photos and negatives (yes, I still use 35mm) in separate boxes for each cruise, whatever size box will hold all of them. Everything else, from the add or brochure that first got my attention, to the debarkation luggage tags, goes into an expandable hanging folder in a file cabinet.

My wife has started taking digital photos which she stores on photo CDs.

I have menus, Princess Patters and brochures going back to 1974.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Rick- You're dating yourself with that 35mm. I finally broke free of film 3 years ago & haven't looked back yet - of course I've got thousands of photo's I can't possibly look at-but at least I'm trying to label each one so I can find a specific shot.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM

I got my 35mm camera 19 years ago when my son was born. I am having a hard time giving it up for a digital since it has given me so many years of untroubled service. But on my last HAL cruise I was the ONLY one I saw with a 35 mm camera. I think I have to move with the times.

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM

I too did the album thing and have so many, then came digital. What a blessing. I now make DVD's of our cruises, complete with music and all. I have even gotten a couple of the albums scanned and on disk. When I get into cruise withdrawal mode I just pop in a DVD and get my fix.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
travelgal, you have the right idea; that's definitely the direction I want to move. But I'm like Hooked-on-HAL; I'm so comfortable with 35mm I hate the thought of giving it up.

But as I watch my wife taking hundreds of photos on a reuseable card as I struggle with loading film and lugging lots of film canisters along, I know what I have to do.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:05 PM

This is a fantastic thread. I'm looking forward to hearing what others do to remember their cruises.

I made scrapbooks of my first couple cruises, but for the last few I have began making what I call "scrapbook collages." I order prints of my favorite 30 or 40 photos (depending on the size of collage) and then incorporate mementos such as my cruise ID and luggage tags into the collage along with the little scrapbook accents I pick up at craft shops. I've found that I prefer this because I can hang the collage on the wall and remember the good times every time I pass by, as opposed to having to open an album.

Of course, this only works when you cruise at the once or twice-a-year pace, otherwise your house will be overrun by cruise collages.

I'm way too young to be this technologically illiterate, but how does one go about creating a cruise DVD with music and captions and all that? What kind of program do you use?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Posted September 25, 2007 12:05 PM Hide Post
This is a fantastic thread. I'm looking forward to hearing what others do to remember their cruises.

I made scrapbooks of my first couple cruises, but for the last few I have began making what I call "scrapbook collages." I order prints of my favorite 30 or 40 photos (depending on the size of collage) and then incorporate mementos such as my cruise ID and luggage tags into the collage along with the little scrapbook accents I pick up at craft shops. I've found that I prefer this because I can
I suppose you could use Photostory (free program from Microsoft) but if you take 5 or 6 hundred photo's per cruise & view each one for 4-5 seconds it would take forever to see them all in one sitting. I prefer to label each picture & them segregate them into day 1, day 2 etc along with a separate directory for programs of each day along with a scan of repentant items- cancelled tickets, captains invitations, etc.
It takes some time to put together but at least I can get rid of lots of papers that I usually hold on to for years & never look at anyway. (Except for one time when Princess wanted me to prove that we had been on cruises that weren't shown in our history) Luckily I had embarquation photo's, cruise cards, receipts for paid fare to show them in order to get credit.

Closed Thread