Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
I watched an episode of MythBusters on TV. During that episode they got the most sea-sick prone members of the team (which were Adam and Grant) and they tested the various forms of anti-sea-sickness remedies on them. And yes.... one of them was those so called "Wrist Bands". On the show they mentioned that Barry Manilow uses the wrist bands every time he travels and would not leave home with out them.

Unfortunately, during the testing the wrist bands did not work for Adam or Grant.

However there were two sea-sick remedies that did work for Adam and Grant.
- The commercial sea-sickness medicine: Drammamine or Bonine (they didn't specify).

- Chewing on Ginger root.
I suppose you can get some Ginger root at your local Asian/Oriental supermarket (if not at your local regular supermarket). Just keep in my raw Ginger root is VERY SPICEY I don't think Ginger Ale soda would be sufficient either.

On all three of my cruises I never got sea-sick [I did suffer a mild case of "Disembarkation Syndrom" on two of the cruises: but that is for another post in the future] Also, the larger the cruise ship, the less likely it is for one to get sea-sick. The same is true if you book your stateroom closest to the middle of the ship (midship).
Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I did not see Chef Ken's reply previous to my first one. Now I remember...Adam and Grant did not chew on raw Ginger Root. They did in fact swallow those ginger capsules that Chef Ken mentioned. I suppose that would be much better than chewing on raw ginger root....which would be almost like chewing on raw Jalapeņos.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I wish you a happy and healthy cruise.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi,they have ginger candies in Asian store.It's kind like ginger root sliced and coated with sugar,less spicy,and cheap too,I think it was around $2 a bag last time I bought for my December cruise.Chinese New year is near,and they have alot of them at Asian stores
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tanyababanya:
Hi,they have ginger candies in Asian store.It's kind like ginger root sliced and coated with sugar,less spicy,and cheap too,I think it was around $2 a bag last time I bought for my December cruise.Chinese New year is near,and they have alot of them at Asian stores
Sounds good! Do they help you or do you bring them along just in case?

Wow someone actually knows the mythbusters by name!

In the case of the raw ginger, slice thin and swallow! Chewing would really bring the heat!

I forgot to mention the Scotch in the gingerale.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Chef Ken, I bring them along just in case, but they do work. You can also have some every day because it's basically candy. You can get it at almost any asian food store.My kids didn't like it,they took Bonnie !This ginger candy is good for your stomach too.
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 02-03-2007, 11:53 AM

This company has ginger chews that are quite tasty: http://gingerpeople.com/products.html. I've seen them at our co-op, Whole Foods, and even a couple of mainstream grocery stores. They have a lot of things that might be helpful, though I've only ever had the chews and didn't use them for seasickness. I just like the way they taste.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:29 AM

Wow, Someone actually likes something for taste! With McDonalds and frozen dinners, I was begining to think that taste is a rare commodity in our society!

I will look for those even though seasickness is not an issue for me. Ginger is just really good for stomach troubles and digestive woes and who know what else!

Ken

Closed Thread

Tags
anti, antinausea, asian, band, candies, cruise, cruises, ginger, nausea, nausia, reviews, ship, store, wallgreens, wrist, wristbands