Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2004, 10:40 AM

I have promised my 11 year old son that we will take a cruse for our vacation this summer. This was his idea - not mine - I've never been on a cruise and have never had the desire to. I have always thought that I would be bored to tears, as I am a "land-explorer" - I love to go off and see what there is to do. So I am already a little leery of the sea time, but willing to try it for my son's sake, and for the experience. I don't really like the idea of spending a lot of time on dining rooms - we don't place a lot of priority on fancy meals. I'd rather be working out in the gym - ya know?
My son is also an explorer type - a nature lover too. He was attracted to the RC rock wall commercial - that's what got him started. So, I have done the preliminary research - and am considering either a Disney or RC cruise, to the Carribean. My concern with Disney is that it maybe TOO "kiddie-oriented" for my son, though he certainly loves to play, like any other kid. And I am concerned with RC, in that I have read that the shore excursions, with so many people, are not very "personal" - just too crowded and busy to really take full advantage. Also, since the troubls in Haiti - RC has to forgo that port of call - which I think was their private beach area. So do they make that with another port? I like the idea of the Disney private island too. I am SO confused. Any advice??
Old 02-28-2004, 10:40 AM

I have promised my 11 year old son that we will take a cruse for our vacation this summer. This was his idea - not mine - I've never been on a cruise and have never had the desire to. I have always thought that I would be bored to tears, as I am a "land-explorer" - I love to go off and see what there is to do. So I am already a little leery of the sea time, but willing to try it for my son's sake, and for the experience. I don't really like the idea of spending a lot of time on dining rooms - we don't place a lot of priority on fancy meals. I'd rather be working out in the gym - ya know?
My son is also an explorer type - a nature lover too. He was attracted to the RC rock wall commercial - that's what got him started. So, I have done the preliminary research - and am considering either a Disney or RC cruise, to the Carribean. My concern with Disney is that it maybe TOO "kiddie-oriented" for my son, though he certainly loves to play, like any other kid. And I am concerned with RC, in that I have read that the shore excursions, with so many people, are not very "personal" - just too crowded and busy to really take full advantage. Also, since the troubls in Haiti - RC has to forgo that port of call - which I think was their private beach area. So do they make that with another port? I like the idea of the Disney private island too. I am SO confused. Any advice??
Old 03-01-2004, 09:11 PM

Happysinglemom,
You do not sound very happy to me my advice to you would be to chill out and take a break from the gym, allow yourself and your son to have a good time, don't stress and if this is something you really do not want to do then don't just do it for your son's sake or neither of you will have a good time! think about it!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:17 AM

HELLO HAPPYSINGLEMOM, YES BEST ADVISE, JUST KICK BACK AND ENJOY YOUR TRIP....TAKE THE TIME TO LET SOMEONE WAIT ON YOU...COOK ALL YOUR MEALS AND DO ALL THE DISHES....JUST CHILL AND DO WHAT YOU FEEL LIKE DOING....A CRUISE IS THE ULTIMATE VACATION....JUST RELAX AND HAVE A GREAT TIME...SHARON, CRUISING MAY 2nd.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:11 AM

happysinglemom first off you will be surprised at how much there is to do on a cruise if you really want to keep busy. There is also many things for you to do with your son. Yes the tours from the ships can be full of people and can be quite hectic at times but if you do the research you can find tours to book on your own in smaller groups that you may enjoy more. Also depending on the ports you can take tours of the islands by private tour or taxi but make sure you do your research on what islands this is safe on..

Like others have said you can also kick back and relax and let the crew do their work and take care of you.

As far as Disney or Royal Caribbean goes. Disney has many things for adults as well as kids in every age group. Disney will be a little more expensive than Royal Caribbean. If you son is looking for the rock climbing wall you will only find that on Royal Caribbean as well as many other physical activities.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:48 AM

I would have to agree with Peb. Take one of the Voyager class ships and believe me, you (and your son) will have the time of your life. There is so much to do that you cannot get it all in in a week's time. Also, it sounds like you guys would probably want to snorkel rather than sightsee. Each port has easy access to great beachs and excellent snorkling. You only have to take a shore excursion if you sign up for one. Read the passenger reviews about each port you might be considering at www.PortReviews.com. This will help ease your fears.

Royal Caribbean has suspended calls at Labadee and is not substituting the call with another port (at least at this time) however, you might find that days at seas become your favorite.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

To
Old 03-04-2004, 03:11 PM

Happy Single Mom,

You are going to be very pleasantly surprised how much there is to do on cruise ships. I agree...if you can do it, cruise the Voyager class of ships...they are HUGE! We cruised on Explorer...I skated on the ice rink, roller bladed, miniature golfed, climbed the rock wall, dribbled a basketball on the court, exercised in the HUGE fitness facility (lots of machines, etc surrounded by windows...what a view! Exercising was never so pleasant. I agree also, if it is the two of you, you should allow someone to treat you by cleaning your room, turning down your bed, cooking your meals, etc. You only have to shower and dress yourself! Be careful...once you experience this Voyager class of Royal Caribbean's ships you are going to get hooked. There is soooooo much for your son to do...RC has programs, etc. for everyone his age. In fact, he will probably want to be gone doing things most of the time....good luck!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 PM

Thanks - after doing some research - I have no doubt that we will have plenty to do. Thanks for your responses.

Hapygirl - not sure why you responded as you did. Being a single mom means that I don't have much time for my exercise - and I really do enjoy my workout time, and runs. So for me, I would MUCH rather be in a nice gym, and be able to go for a run every day, knowing my son is taken care of, rather than eating. Really - I have no desire to "pig out" in the dining rooms. And neither does he - we are both pretty health conscious. In fact - he will probably join me in the gym if his age is allowed!

And I did not mean to imply that I was going JUST for him - it was his idea - but I have become very excited at the prospect of my first cruise!

Closed Thread