Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM

Hi
I have finally convinced my 2 sisters to go on a cruise. It won't be until 2008. I have been reading alot about the cruise lines. I have a really dumb question. What is an upper berth and lower berth? I think we would want to share a stateroom, and I think an inside room would be best, but I'm just not sure of the space. I am the youngest at age 52. Any suggestions on what one to pick? They are willing to try a 4 day cruise at the longest. We would have to fly to get to any location, we live in Ohio.
An help would be great
Old 02-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Hi nco50, and welcome to cruise-chat.com.

A lower berth is ship speak for a bed that is about the height of a bed you'd have back home. It is positioned along the wall on the side or at the headboard. An upper berth is a bed that folds out of the wall that, when opened, looks like the upper bunk of a bunk bed. A ladder is provided to climb up/down. During the day, the cabin steward closes the upper berth so that it is out of the way.

Inside staterooms come in a variety of sizes. We were on a Royal Caribbean ship a few years ago -- Splendour of the Seas, I believe, that had larger outside staterooms. In fact, our son had a sofabed to sleep on, rather than an upper berth. Carnival ships also tend to have large inside cabins. Some NCL ships have two categories of inside cabins -- standard, and large. No matter what you decide, it sounds like it will be a fun cruise for all of you.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks LisaP for the info. I don't think any of us would be able to do the upper berth. Thats what I was afraid of.
I hope to have a blast. I figured we'd do baby steps. I want to go to Alaska on a cruise, but it would be longer. I'd have to gear them up for that.

Closed Thread