Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 05:40 PM

WOO HOO Got the hubby talked into a Southbound land tour and cruise to Alaska in August 2008 for our 24th Anniversary. I know we should wait until our 25th but I want to get away somewhere just the two of us for a change. The first cruise both our moms were on, the last one it was just myself and my mom (Mike couldnt go because he had started a new job). I CANT WAIT!! I love Alaska. We may try Island Princess this time, any suggstions. We have done HAL both times prior and loved it but would like to try something different.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Holland and Princess own more of the land, lodges, domed rail cars, etc than anyone else running Alaska. For a Cruise tour stick with them... Although doing Celeb or RCI means you're not a captive audience in a lodge where all your entertainment and meals are planned and pricey. RCI and Celeb use hotels (Hilton, Marriott and similar) in more densly populated areas, usually Anchorage. Being in/near town has some advantages as well. You can venture out on your own for shopping and other activities and eat where-ever like. Also they both run domed rail cars as well.

Be aware that meal during the tour portion and any excursions not implicitly listed as included are on your tab. For cruise tours plan for a much higher cost per day than you would for a normal cruise.

Still the nod has to go to HAL and PCL, they opened the Alaska market and will have for more for itin options.

Happy sailing, Neil
Old 04-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Greyson, I'm so glad to hear that you're getting back on a cruise after all you've been through. I don't work for Princess, however, to me they do it best! We've been on HAL, NCL, RCL, Carnival, Costa, and Princess. Princess ships are immaculate, the service is impeccable, and the food is great. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. They make great frozen margaritas and wonderful martinis as well. They don't have rock climbing walls or floriders, but there is plenty to do on board or you can do nothing. My favorite thing is the Personal Choice dining, that way you're not committed to either rushing for the early seating, or waiting for the second seating. I didn't think I'd like it at first, because it is so much fun getting to know your wait staff and table mates. However, you get to meet more people being seated with different folks each evening. If you hit it off really well with someone, you can always meet for excursions, drinks, or dinner. Best wishes and have a wonderful time!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I think we will probably check into Princess. My husband is a veteran and if I remember right, Princess has discounts for veterans, or at least they did. I have family in Anchorage so that night we stay in Anchorage we will get to spend a little time with them as well. Should make for a great vacation. I cant wait until 2008. I know I shouldnt rush things, but time will fly and it will be here before we know it. This year its back to California (we moved from there 10 years ago). We have not been back since we moved so its time to go see some friends.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Princess has among the most strict requirements to recieve their military rates. I'll copy the requirements below for you. They don't simply allow a Form DD-214 as Carnival and some others do to qualify.

Princess offers military discounts to members of the U.S. military who are active, reserve, or have served for 20+ years. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID at the time of booking.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 AM

Hey TrvlPro, thanks for that. Not a problem because he carries his ID everywhere. Thanks for telling us. Does this mean he wouldnt need his DD214 with him, just his ID?

Closed Thread