Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Passport changes for 2007 are limited to air travel.

Passport Requirements

As of January 23, 2007, passports will be required for all U.S. citizens traveling to or from the United States via air, to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean (with the exception of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and Bermuda.

* As of January 1, 2008, passports will be required for all U.S. citizens traveling to or from the United States via land and sea, as well as air, regardless of destination.

United States citizens can visit the State Departmentís web site http://travel.state.gov, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: (877) 4USA-PPT. Please allow 6 weeks for processing of the passport application. If you need to travel urgently and require a passport sooner, please visit http://travel.state.gov for additional information on expedited processing.

To find out more information about how to obtain a Passport, please visit http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html.

To find frequently asked questions about the New Travel Document Requirements, please visit http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html.

To find foreign country entry requirements, please visit http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...ures_1229.html.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Ken,

Thanks for posting a clear message about this. The government has waffled all over the place on this over the past year or so. Frankly I had hoped they would put the hammer down and require passports for everything starting this year.

Although the requirement right now is only for air, folks need to realize that if they have to leave their cruise early and fly back to the U.S. - they then fall under the passport required rules. Princess is even warning people of this.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 AM

Dave, That came directly from my latest expedia updates.

You make a very good point. Purchasing insurance is normally one of the precautions for the misfortune of having to fly home early but even the foolish mistake of missing one's ship could put a person in even more trouble without a passport.

Side note:
(I have stood on the deck many times, amazed as I see late passengers arrive only to watch their ship sale away.)
Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Regarding your side note...yes indeed, it is interesting to behold the stupidity of some people who seem to be fixated with seeing how closely they can cut it on getting to the pier. I realize flight delays happen, but some people will knowingly book a flight schedule that, even if it is on time, puts them on the ground in MIA (or wherever) an hour before the ship leaves. People who do this need to look up to Forrest Gump for intellectual inspiration.

It used to be these people could fly to the first port and pick up the ship - now that is in jeopardy for them if they don't have a passport.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 AM

The funny part (or should I say "sad")
is that they are usually wearing next to nothing.

In St. Marten I watched a bikini clad mother presumably with her husband and small children running down the pier holding a large brimmed had on top of her head, yelling and crying toward the back of the Oosterdam. I could just imagine her that evening, sitting in an airport that was all-too well air-conditioned and I stood there utterly transfixed by the scene.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Ha! Yes, those who miss the ship when it leaves the ports-of-call! I remember being on a cruise in 2003 that was in Cozumel one day and we were at Progreso the next day. I like to get up early and watch the arrival proceedings, and so I was up on deck as we moored in Progreso. And there they were.....about a dozen of our fellow passengers who tempted fate (and the clock) while in Cozumel - and lost. They wearily walked down the pier to the applause and catcalls from those of us on the ship. And as you note, many were in bikinis and flip-flops. They were miserable to be sure, but then the Captain called for a meeting with them to add salt to their wounds. I assumed they were very prompt for the rest of the cruise. I can't imagine the embarrassment of boarding a plane or taking the bus to catch up with us while dressed to wow them at the beach.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Ha! Yes, those who miss the ship when it leaves the ports-of-call! I remember being on a cruise in 2003 that was in Cozumel one day and we were at Progreso the next day. I like to get up early and watch the arrival proceedings, and so I was up on deck as we moored in Progreso. And there they were.....about a dozen of our fellow passengers who tempted fate (and the clock) while in Cozumel - and lost. They wearily walked down the pier to the applause and catcalls from those of us on the ship. And as you note, many were in bikinis and flip-flops. They were miserable to be sure, but then the Captain called for a meeting with them to add salt to their wounds. I assumed they were very prompt for the rest of the cruise. I can't imagine the embarrassment of boarding a plane or taking the bus to catch up with us while dressed to wow them at the beach.
Old post: Yikes, imagine being stuck in Progresso! I just thought of that on re-reading it. Nevermind, marooned in Cozumel would not be so bad! Trifocals, hmmmph!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:52 AM
A true story, which shows the spirit of a happy ship:

It was a windy and rainy evening we had left Nassau. Just after departure we learned that a nanny and a child was left at the pier in Nassau, while the parents were onboard. Normally this is of course the passengers responsibility to be back onboard on time, but anyone with a heart could easily imagine the mother's feelings being separated from her infant.

So - first we tried to get some assistanse from the pilot boat, but the swells were too rough and we could not take the chance of handing over the child from the pilot boat to the ship.

Fortunately we were not in a hurry as the next port of call was GSC, just a good stone throw away

Our excellent captain called for a quick meeting on the bridge and we decided to give lee to lower one of our tenders to go back to the pier and pick up the Nanny and the child. With the permission from the port authority one tender with the appropriate crew headed for the breakwater and the pier as the ship manouvered safely outside waiting. The tender came back and were hoisted onboard carrying one happy nanny and the even happier mother and father were waiting on the deck. The following reunion scenes were very touching to anyone and would have made a perfect picture if it wasn't for the nasty odour of wommit comming from the tender and the motorman knocked out from seasickness

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 PM
A beautiful story, Svein;
I'll bet for every "rant" we get here there is a human interest story like yours--we just don't hear them.
Thank you.

Closed Thread

Tags
call, document, islands, mexican, passport, ports, requirements, virgin