Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM

I was recently debating between an eastern cruise from Miami, or a southern cruise from Puerto Rico. My local cruise expert said that since I will be going during the middle of hurricane season (end of sept.), I am better off hitting the southern caribbean since there are less hurricanes in that area.

Any truth to this?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 AM

I don't see how anyone can predict where there will be less hurricanes. Most tropical storms tend to form by the time the system get to the southern carribean islands, but they are still weak at that point, but the ship will still try to avoid the storm weak or not.

Its a gamble either way. One could also make the claim that most hurricanes start in the southern carribean (or go through there when they are young storms) and then being influenced by High Pressure systems over north america will travel north west or just head west. Meaning that the other areas could have a better chance of not seeing a particular storm.

Pick the cruise you want to go on. If there is a storm, there is nothing you can do about it anyway and the ship will change itinerarys if need be to avoid it.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 AM

Mike, that is so funny that you asked that question. My first preference was to cruise the Southern Caribbean mostly for the shopping, and the smooth sailing in the Caribbean sea vs the Atlantic (rough) and because I was there some time ago and loved the islands. My husband wanted to go to the Western Caribbean b/c he fell in love with the ship "Freedom of the Seas" and it seems that the western caribbean is were it sails. I booked the 2nd week in November, 2008. Hopefully there will be no strorms since it's the tail end of the season. Here is a quote from a website I was on "But the islands of the southernmost Caribbean -- such as Aruba, Barbados, Curacao, Bonaire, Grenada, and Trinidad and Tobago -- rarely get hit by hurricanes: Bonaire, for example, has just a 2.2 percent annual risk of being affected by a hurricane, making your odds about 50-1 against a storm interrupting your vacationI researched a little bit on line and read that hurricane season hits the southern caribbean early

Caribbean Vacation
Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ReneG:
"But the islands of the southernmost Caribbean -- such as Aruba, Barbados, Curacao, Bonaire, Grenada, and Trinidad and Tobago -- rarely get hit by hurricanes
I don't know but for all I know that depends where the hurricane form also problem is the huricanes are so big they always affect all the islands,
the last hurricane that hit us was a few years back during 2003 or something like that
and was mostly during september so I don't really know where your TA get that kind of info...

I can tell you since 2003 I don't even remember a hurricane warning, here on the islands, mostly everytime winter is cold on the caribbean there are less hurricanes and this winter was cold as a cold beer so my guess "maybe" southern trip is better option
Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 PM

I'm just going to hope for the best.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:56 PM

I cruise every Sept as the rates are the lowest of the year during that time frame and it lets me do a balcony for about the cost of an interior at other times of the year. Never had any problems with storms yet and I intend to continue the tradition. I look for another sailing each year and usually do an interior for that one. I only get two weeks of vacation each year plus a little time i accrue each year from working holidays. There's no better time to find a bargain than Sept.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 AM

To be honest, I don't really see September being that much cheaper. As of right now, I am paying about $850 (though I haven't checked in a week or so) for a 7 day cruise with a balcony on the Adventure. Will prices drop? Or is this actually pretty cheap? I'm still relatively inexperienced, so maybe this is better than I think.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Mike that's a pretty good rate for AOS. They do sometimes drop and if yours does your T/A or the cruiseline can get it adjusted for you. I booked mine last year in Feb and it was right after a major price drop. After I booked it climbed all the way to the sailing date. If I had waited to book it would have cost me over $300. pp more. Keep an eye on it so you'll know if it drops.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MiketheKid:
To be honest, I don't really see September being that much cheaper. As of right now, I am paying about $850 (though I haven't checked in a week or so) for a 7 day cruise with a balcony on the Adventure. Will prices drop? Or is this actually pretty cheap? I'm still relatively inexperienced, so maybe this is better than I think.
as TrvlPro say is a very nice price way better than what I had paid on the past with them

Remember that the Adventure of the seas is not a cheap ship actually the way I see it RCCL is not a cheap cruise line either even during off season...
Look it this way is cheaper than summer as now is $ 1499 and I already pay for the same date on carnival destiny $1079 per person
I know that is not the same route but the carnival destiny route is a new one and I have 5 ports to visit and the adventure only visit 4 ports so tis balance the situation
but believe me they are giving you a good price
Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM

I guess it's a better price than I thought . Either way, cruising is a much better deal than any other vacation I might have planned.

My TA happens to be my next door neighbor, who is a diamond plus member of RCCL - just the kind of person I want taking care of my booking in case prices drop!

Closed Thread

Tags
areas, caribbean, cruise, hurricanes