Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 11:17 AM

Happy Cruiser: At the risk of being redundant, may I emphasize again the Radisson cruise line? They are less expensive than SilverSea and Crystal, and maybe Seaborn. The ships are new and cabins are beautiful. They have many balconies, which give them the edge over Seabourn and Crystal. Also, Crystal ships are much bigger. If you want a small shp experience with tips and most drinks included, with GREAT service, go Radisson!
Old 01-30-2003, 08:00 AM

Dear All,

In reply to all of your comments I must defend myself by stating that we always tip the requested amount and sometimes more. However I do not care for the constant in your face mentions of tipping. One never hears this in a good resort or hotel. So why do the cruise lines allow outright demands for for tipping? Its annoying and distasteful. So to say that we didn't budget for tipping is ubsurd. As I have stated previously...why don't the cruise lines just pay thier employees better?
Old 02-02-2003, 06:21 AM

I have to reply to this one. I have been on 5 cruises and will do the 6th late this month. I budget $20.00 per day (2 people) for tips. I have always given this or more. I have found the people working the ship give far better service than most land based hotels. It is because of cheap people that this practice is becoming a problem. I have heard people say they letf no tips on the last night, wow nice people. If they add this tip to the price of the cruise, the service will suffer, no incentive. So we have the no-tippers to thank when this happens...and it will.
The cruise companies have done a good (great) job of keeping prices very low, more people can now cruise than ever before. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip.
My daughters all worked in resturants as part of the wait staff. Boy, do they have stories about tight people not tipping. So I guess if you don't tip on land you probably won't tip on the ship. Now let's see how we can convince ourselves this is good.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:30 PM

Daytonohio,
I think you are missing the point....
You say the cruise liners have done a great job keeping prices very low so that more people can afford to cruise. Then you say if you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip.
So why not put the tip & the cruise price together (by paying the service staff a decent wage) and take all the pressure off everyone.
Tipping (To Insure Promptness) began as an incentive to give Extra service not as a way of getting customers to pay the salaries of Your staff.
I don't mind tipping the staff for doing the special things like suggesting off the menu items or providing extra towels at short notice, but I'm not happy about adding 15% for people only doing their job.
Sorry, but you've hit my hot button with this topic.

Dave
Old 02-03-2003, 05:40 PM

You make a good point. I do see where you are going, I think we have all gotten to the point of tipping for regular work. I just think if they add the money to the bill the service will go down.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 PM

Daytonohio,

That is probably at the heart of the problem.

Maybe some modified form of "The Honeymooners" incentive scheme might work, but who can tell. The only real evidence available is:
1/ throwing money at the problem does (usually) produce good service but not everyone is prepared to pay their share
2/ the premium lines like Silversea & Radisson still provide wonderful service but the price is extremely high up front

And, just to be extremely provocative, is there any independant evidence available that the compulsory tipping all goes to the service staff?

Cheers

Dave
Old 02-05-2003, 01:49 AM
Tom & Mary-Contributing Editors's Avatar

We have used the following method of tipping and have found it to be hugely successful. (Explained in all our reviews that are posted on the Cruise Reviews site:

http://www.TomandMarysCruiseReviews.com/

Our Tipping Suggestion:
We like to give the suggested tip for the week, to out waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and to our cabin attendant, the first evening of our cruise. Tipping at the end of the week is like locking the barn door after the horse has run away. We make out [3x5] envelopes with a note that reads...The main reason we love to cruise, is because of servers like you who go out of their
way to make our cruises special. We want you to know we appreciate what you do and would like you to have this as a down payment on your services...Thank you, Tom & Mary Milano.”

We have never had service on any of our cruises that was poor enough to warrant us tipping less than the suggested amount. By tipping the suggested amount on the first night, you let your servers know that you are appreciative of them and they can expect an additional stipend at the end of the cruise. [At the end of the cruise we usually give an additional $20 to the waiter, $10 to the assistant and $10 or $20 to the cabin attendant]. Giving an extra forty dollars for the week, is a small price to pay to ensure the
very best from your servers. Take our word for it. It does make a difference. Make Out Envelopes For Pre Tipping.

Warm regards,
Tom & Mar

Tom & Mary
(The Honeymooners)
Old 02-07-2003, 06:30 AM

Just a thought here, I am one of those that tips based on service BEYOND what the staff is paid by salary to do... but I find to motivate the staff one of the easy things is to Meet the staff, smile and give a warm hello and thanks before things even start... You make the staff feel like a person, not an invisable scrub,,, and they show it.. then you have a great reason to give that tip
(P.S.) Every notice those quiet people snapping those pictures? Ever see a really great picture of you or spouse on the gallery wall? Ever think about slipping them even 1 buck when you see them again for a GREAT picture? )
Old 02-09-2003, 09:26 AM

we are going on our first cruise - Norwegian Sky soon. it states that an automatic tip of $10 per person - per day will be added to our bill. i thought this was fair, and convenient, should i still expect anyone to "have a hand out" waiting for a tip??? Norwegian says no, does anyone have a different experience with ncl??

[This message was edited by first timer on February 09, 2003 at 10:02 AM.]

Closed Thread

Tags
annoying, calculating, cruise, cruises, end, page, seabourn, tip, tipping