Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 03:38 PM

I do agree that the threatening tone and advice in the post that was removed made me cringe. Someone who looks for ways to make a passenger pay if they feel slighted is someone who should not be working with the public.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Neil, I'd say we were a bit beyond cringing on those...

Back to topic... My niece and I got our cruise documents a few days ago for our upcoming Alaska cruise. My family and I have an assigned cabin; she and her husband booked an inside guarantee, paying the "cheapest rates," as she called them. Her documents had the note GUAR where the cabin number should be. She once got a fabulous upgrade on another line, and hopes she'll get one this time. I hope she's not disappointed.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

We have first hand knowledge that complainers are tracked with the recent lifetime ban of a couple by RCI.

The problem lies with employees who are willing to use the notes about X passenger in a petty fashion, such as the implications we deleted today that if you do anything which is deemed a "dis" to a cruise ship staffer you will find your entree tampered with or a sudden loss of water in your cabin, or worse.

That type of conduct is completely malicious.

As for upgrades - Lord how sick I am of the obsession some people have with them! And in 99% of the cases, the upgrade is a meaningless change to the same cabin layout on a different deck. I sometimes wish the cruise lines would simply not do them and just tell people upfront - you sail in what you picked. This never-ending quest to get something for nothing really defines the culture we live in.

Personally I've never asked for an free upgrade, and the only ones I've received were those I paid for well before the cruise embarked.

Enough with the upgrade nonsense!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I sometimes wish the cruise lines would simply not do them and just tell people upfront - you sail in what you picked.
It may not be the Cruise Line. the first TA we talked to in Oahurst tried to get us to book a guaranty. She told us that we would be upgraded because her office has some much clout. We never booked with her, we chose a different TA because we thought they were pretty straight shooting. I think they have been.
An online service told the same thing to my wife on our first cruise..plus tips were included. Some TA's and places are just not honest. It causes trouble for eveyone.

Maybe there should be a list on Cruise Chat for the top 10 questions and answers. I thik most of us could guess the top 10 questions. Upgrades and booze would be at the top.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Maybe there should be a list on Cruise Chat for the top 10 questions and answers. I thik most of us could guess the top 10 questions. Upgrades and booze would be at the top.
I like it Gary. A permanently posted note in big red letters. "If you want to post on smuggling booze, find another chat site!" and "Free upgrades happen occasionally, nobody on this site or at the cruiseline can increase your odds of getting one so don't bother asking!"

I like it.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 AM

I have been on a few cruises booked through a travel agent and I have picked my choice of cabin at the time of booking. My understanding is that once my booking is confirmed, then my cabin will not change. Why should it?
So my question is: what is a guaranteed cabin? And secondly, why would you want to go through all that hassle of changing your cabin when you get to the ship? I know that I can't wait to get on board, kick off my shoes and unpack!
I can tell you, that it takes me years to save up enough money to take a cruise. By the time you figure in airfare from Canada as well as the cost of the cruise, I feel very fortunate to be able to book a nice balcony cabin.
Maybe people shouldn't be so greedy and just be thankful that they can afford the trip.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So my question is: what is a guaranteed cabin?
Let's use Carnival as an example. When you book a guaranteed cabin it is for a specific class of cabin - outside, balcony, inside. What this means is the cruise line is guaranteeing that you will at least be in the lowest category for the cabin class you picked, but you could be moved to a higher category within that class. So if you booked "OV" this means you picked ocean view cabin, and you will at least be in category 6A but could be in 6B,6C, or 6D. Some ships also have category 5A which is portholes and not a window. Of course, all of these cabins are otherwise identical but just on different decks. The guarantee is for a cabin within that class and not a guarantee that you will be moved to a balcony cabin or suite. You are paying less and so could be in a category 6D cabin for less money than someone who specifically paid for a 6D. It could be as little as a $40 difference but I've seen the price difference from OV to 6D be $150 or so. But chances are when you book a guarantee you will be put in the lowest category for that guarantee.

Some people seem to think cruise ships have endless supplies of empty balcony cabins and suites just waiting for someone who booked minimum inside to be upgraded.

Closed Thread

Tags
agents, balcony, caribbean, carnival, checkin, complimentary, cruise, free, guarantee, royal, stories, upgrade, upgrades