Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 11:57 AM

What are your opinions about when to book a cruise?
The prices seem to go up and down depending on the day.
Also I had read somewhere that caribbean cruises during hurricane season would be cheaper, but I am not seeing that the prices now are that much cheaper for those particular cruises.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Book cruises far in advance and if they go down, get a refund..... book these cruises...

January 10-February 10th
February 20th-March 10th
April 20th-June 10th
September 1st-November 20th
Begin again next year!

These are the low rate seasons although they may vary. Dont book inogural cruises.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM

I don't know what dates your looking at. But cruises are always cheaper later August,September, October. and up to just before Thanksgiving. Then again the first couple weeks of December. They go up for the holidays and then after the New Year go down a bit for about a month. They start getting a little higher in February, March and April are usually higher because of spring break times. Any time school is out or a holiday is higher. Why not consider joining the Cruise-Chat cruise August 21st.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Whoops sorry! The cruise-chat cruise is for Aug 21st, 2008. You might be looking at 2007.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherA:
What are your opinions about when to book a cruise?
The prices seem to go up and down depending on the day.
Also I had read somewhere that caribbean cruises during hurricane season would be cheaper, but I am not seeing that the prices now are that much cheaper for those particular cruises.
When to book a cruise really depends on how flexible you and your group/family are. If you are looking for a specific cruise, cabin, itinerary, then there is less flexibility. Also if you need/want multiple rooms that are close to each other, that also tightens the reins a bit.

Now if you are totally flexible as to date, itinerary, cabin, port of embarkation, then you can wait until the absolute last minute (less than 30 days) and book a cruise to get the lowest out of your pocket rate. If you book earlier, just keep checking the price and as soon as the price goes down, have your TA (or yourself) call and get an On Board Credit for the difference between what you paid and the current price. Do this right up to the day before sailing. Most cruiselines will just keep adding the credit to your ship's account. Even if it is only a few dollars. By the time you get on the ship, you may have a nice tidy sum to spend on excursions, photo, foo-foo drinks, tips, and souvenirs.

However, if you just want to know when are cruises the cheapest, that would be prime hurricane season (early Sept - early Nov)or the week after major holidays. Avoid March - Aug because that is spring, Easter, summer vacation time and the prices go way up, and just a bit lower the week after Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th, Easter, etc.

Good luck.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 PM

How can you tell if the fare goes down? I mean the TA gaves us lower rate than what was listed on the published Carnival fares...so what should I be looking for?

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Well, after I posted this my husband and I decided to just go ahead and book a cruise. We knew we would just spend a lot of time talking about it if we didn't just go ahead and do it.
We're going the end of June, beg. of July. Probably not the best time as far as cost, but that was when the kid would be out of school and a time husband could get away from work.
So what we paid is something I am happy with, but it would be great if we could get some back to use on the ship. How do I check the rates to see if they have gone down? We booked straight through Carnival, not with a travel agent.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherA:
Well, after I posted this my husband and I decided to just go ahead and book a cruise. We knew we would just spend a lot of time talking about it if we didn't just go ahead and do it.
We're going the end of June, beg. of July. Probably not the best time as far as cost, but that was when the kid would be out of school and a time husband could get away from work.
So what we paid is something I am happy with, but it would be great if we could get some back to use on the ship. How do I check the rates to see if they have gone down? We booked straight through Carnival, not with a travel agent.
It works best when booking directly with Carnival. Every day or as often as you think about it, go to the Internet and go through the motions of booking the same cruise, same category, same number of people, just go as far as you need to in order to get the per person rate - DO NOT RE-BOOK THE CRUISE USING YOUR CREDIT CARD. If you get to the point where it asks for your credit card, you have gone too far and cancel out and start over. As it gets closer to the date of the cruise, you will probably see some movement in the price (sometimes goes higher but may also go lower). If you ever see a lower price from what you paid, call the 800 number for Carnival and tell them that the price of your cruise has gone down and you would like a credit (or refund if you have not paid 100% of the ticket already).

If you book with a TA, you have to call your TA and it will depend on what kind of sweetheart deal your TA got from Carnival that determines whether or not Carnival will honor their lower price and give you the OBC or refund.

Remember OBC is money to spend on the ship so it is as good if not better than cash.

There is no guarantee that the price will go lower but, if it does and you catch it, it is money on your sail and sign card.

Good luck!

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM

IBCRUZIN'

Seems like a lot of trouble to have to do a mock booking constantly to see the current pricing for your cruise. The agency I work for gets direct feeds for lowest pricing electronically every night and the lowest available price is posted daily. Since there is a # called a FastDEAL # on every cruise you simply save the page of your cruise to your favorites and can look up the lowest avail fare with one click of the mouse.

All reputable travel agencies will lower the rate for you if it goes down prior to the penalty period (75 days before the sailing date in most cases). Once within the penalty period different rules apply by the different cruise lines. Some promotions have an asterisk with disclaimers stating *For new bookings only, some do not.

Happy sailing, Neil
Old 04-15-2007, 06:18 PM

TrvlPro - Isn't the FastDeal # something only a travel ageny would have access to. I mean us "commomers" wouldn't have access to that. I would love to know when/if our cruise fare drops at all but I don't see any other way but to call the travel agent everyday and ask her! That I obviously will not do! She may book me in the bottom of the boat! The quote we received was $200 cheaper than what was onCarnival's site that same day and the fare hasn't budged on their site. I guess I am just hoping "we already got a great deal".

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992

Closed Thread