Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 07:50 AM

My husband and I, 40-ish, are going on our first cruise in July. We are going to Alaska on the NCL Sky. I've read all the freestyle stuff, and my question is, we're going from 80-90+ degree weather to 60's weather. How should we dress and what should I pack? I'm at a total loss. It looks like if we dress for excursions, we're going to be totally underdressed for the ship, and from what I've read and heard, there's not alot of room for clothes storage. HELP!!!
Old 06-25-2002, 07:50 AM

My husband and I, 40-ish, are going on our first cruise in July. We are going to Alaska on the NCL Sky. I've read all the freestyle stuff, and my question is, we're going from 80-90+ degree weather to 60's weather. How should we dress and what should I pack? I'm at a total loss. It looks like if we dress for excursions, we're going to be totally underdressed for the ship, and from what I've read and heard, there's not alot of room for clothes storage. HELP!!!
Old 06-25-2002, 10:41 AM

I have never been on an NCL cruise so I can't be of any help concerning the dress on board. I have read that common sense dictates and that "smart casual" seems to fit the bill.

I have taken a CruiseTour to Alaska. The key to dressing properly is to layer your clothing. Also be prepared for rain. What we did was to get a rainsuit (I think the Stearns suits we bought were $49.00 each.) and use the jacket as a jacket and windbreaker when needed. We had sweatshirts which we could wear under them if needed. As it warms during the day you can simply remove layers of clothing. Since you are going in July I think you might be surprised at how warm it will be in Alaska.

There should be plenty of room for storing the clothing you will need. Spend some time packing. Get all of the clothing you think you will need. Then go through it and remove half of it. Seriously!
Old 06-25-2002, 11:13 AM

Thanks, I was thinking about the rainsuit, but wondered if the bottoms would be prohibitively hot. Your suggestions will be taken seriously!
Old 06-26-2002, 07:21 AM

We never used the bottoms because we were blessed with excellent weather on our land portion. There were only two times when inclement weather hit. The worst was crossing the Gulf of Alaska when we had sub-hurricane winds causing 30-35 foot waves. Not many people at dinner that night! The other was in Skagway when it is drizzling and foggy - just plain miserable. It was not bad enough to put the trousers on. Nevertheless they were great insurance and we certainly used the jackets more as windbreakers than rain deflectors.

Blackrobe
Next up our 14th anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess to Bermuda
Old 06-30-2002, 08:54 AM

I just came off the Sky the end of May. The ship is very casual in attire. We wore a spring jacket most of the time and were fine. The day you cruise Glacier Bay it is COLD so definately layer your clothing. There are 2 dress up nights but there were a lot of people wearing everyday clothes on those nights even. If you dine for dinner in the Seven Seas ask for table 113. The waiter was terrific. You will love Alaska!
Old 08-04-2002, 11:22 PM

Thanks for all the info! I was not sure how dressy??? the evening and dinner would be-great. I don't think I will get my son into a sports jacket,tie and shirt for dinner~teenager.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:14 AM

For future reference, anyone - we cruised AK May 2001 on Cruise West, so we were outside on deck much of the cruise. We had bought Goretex rain pants and used them a lot!! THey make great windbreakers, and are made to layer over other pants. We used them against rain onshore in Ketchikan, but mostly against wind. If you sail AK in May it is likely to be pretty chilly, and if you like to be outside enjoying the fresh air & scenery, you may want them. On larger ships there are more windbreaks built in, but if you are the wind-in-your-hair type, get a rainsuit or equivalent!
Karen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2002, 07:56 PM

we've taken our teenagers the last three years and each year our son as kicked it up a notch for formal nights. Last year (he was 15) and wore dress pants and white formal shirt and dad's tie one night and attempted to rent a tux the next formal night. The teens on the Grand Princess were definetely dressing up. This year he has us purchase a suit and dress shoes and wore those on formal night.

The teens on the RCC (Rhapsody) didn't quite dress up as much as the teens on Grand Princess but he felt handsome. Don't prejudge our teens based on what we are used to them wearing - they also love to be a notch above the daily usual when traveling on a cruise.

dcd
Old 08-06-2002, 01:28 AM

tHANKS FOR THE COMMENT! i MIGHT PUSH FOR THAT JACKET, TIE AND ETC. wE STILL HAVE TIME!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, ship, wear