Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 12:08 PM

I don't think this has been asked before?
We are sailing on the Carnival Freedom as you know this is a big ship.
My question is. I have a couple of hand held CB radios, if my wife and I are in different parts of the ship and want to locate each other will these radios work, they have a range of 7Km (not that that matters) but will they be interfered with by the ships electronics or probably more important will they interfere with the ships communications.
Thanks
Peter
Old 02-17-2007, 07:29 PM

We were recently on RCCL Radiance of the Seas. Our family use walkie talkies and they worked very well. Other people on the ship had them, too, and we had to select a channel that wasn't being used. They worked great and really came in handy!

Nadine
Old 02-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Hi Nadine,
One other question,
What output were your CB's. The ones I have are 1 watt.
Thanks
Peter
Old 02-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Ptur,
I have seen these for rent on some lines and they are 1 watt.
I would just respectfully ask that people who use them to please use them sparingly. I know they can be useful and helpful in keeping track of family and friends. But I also see many adults and kids wandering with them and jabbering like they were cell phones. This can be very annoying; as annoying as second hand smoke. This is what some of us cruise to get away from.
So please, a little consideration.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Ptur- We use Motorola Walkie Talkies on our cruises to keep in touch with our girls when need be. So, I don't know why your CB radio's wouldn't work. Although, its been a long time, is CB FM or AM modulated? If AM. you may have problems.. The radios we use are FM and have plenty of channels and sub channels so that we can find one that not everyone else is using.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-18-2007, 06:56 AM

My husband said the wattage on ours varies depending on the channel. I'm not too sharp on this electronic stuff! We found them most useful when we were on an island since not all of us took the same excursions.

f-mattox, I totally understand your concern. We seldom used ours, but they sure came in handy when we needed them!

Nadine
Old 02-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Thank you Nadine;
I didn't mean to come on so strong. I fully appreciate their usefulness--I use them at work all day--which may explain my aversion to them when on vacation. Don't pay any attention to me--I was grumpy last night!
Old 02-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Ptur,

I wouldn't bring the CB radios. Instead, just pick up a set of the small radios Nadine refers to - these use the FRS band. Some also have GMRS frequencies too, but the GMRS band requires an FCC license for U.S. citizens and I think they are also restricted in some countries. FRS is fine. You can pick up a good set for $30 or so.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
annoying
Only in emergencies please. I am one of those people who go on a cruise to get away from that stuff. I am a sales rep.sometimes I can get up to 50 cell calls a day..nights,weekends it doesen't stop.acctualy 11 days with no phone was one of the highlites of my cruise.I can understand the use for kids,teens and even over 80's. But please be consideate.On our last cruise this young couple were blabbing back and forth about the buffet,pool chairs blah blah blah....very annoying,get off your butt and see for yourself!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

When we use the radios it is only to locate someone, and that is it. Actually we didn't use them on the last cruise. I agree that they can be exceedingly annoying when people use them constantly to blab about nonsense. Same as the spectre of cell phones at sea.

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, carnival, cb, cruise, cruises, handheld, hopkinsville, powered, radio, radios, roller, ships, skating, talkie, tn, vbulletin, walkie