Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 09:42 AM

Hi everyone,

As some of you maybe aware of we are sailing the Mediterranean next October, the Barcelona to Venice run.

I am looking to enhance this cruise with up to 3 night’s additional pre cruise stay and one extra night in Venice. Any suggestions as to the Area of town in either city we should be trying to reserve a room?
Hopefully it would have nightlife with restaurants and entertainment venues, metro assessable, and yet still a 20 euro ride by cab to either the pier or the airport.

I am also looking for some observations as to which airline provides the best comforts in Coach when traveling to and from Europe. We prefer to sit in groups of two, instead of 3 seats to a row section.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Always
HAL Oosterdam
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit
Golden Princess

"Integrity begins with I!"
Old 11-10-2005, 06:43 PM

Joey, trust me on this. In Barcelona, you want to stay at the Hotel Claris. It has everything going for it and you will find it to be the perfect location, ambiance and experience in Barcelona. It is located away from the major tourist areas, but is centrally located to everything positive about Barcelona. Three days in Barcelona at the Hotel Claris will only sink the hook in deeper and you will vow to return for much longer.

In Venice, I like the Hotel Ala. It is just far enough from St. Mark's Square to be away from the tourists, yet it is on a canal and if you get a canal front room, you will get the very best of Venice. There are dozens of great hotels in Venice and you can't go wrong.

Here is a hint about the airlines flying into Barcelona. DON'T FLY IBERIA.....UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 11-11-2005, 08:00 AM

Tom thank you for your quick response.

If I could pose a few follow up questions ?

When I tried to contact the hotel their web site said there was no availability, they also said that the rooms start at $450 per night USD.

I must admit Tom, that’s a bit more then what I had hoped to be budgeting for this pre cruise extension.

I was looking to spend no more then 170 euro or 200 usd per night.(taxes included)

What is the cost of a cab from the Eixample area going south to the Pier?

And what about transportation from the airport to the hotel. With 3 or 4 bags what’s the best way bus, rail, cab?
Are cabs metered or is it an individual negotiated fees.

Another thing I wondered about is tipping in Europe. Is it proper to tip cab drivers , what about porters 2 euros per bag?

Are menus in both Spanish and English or should we brush up on Spanish terms entrée favorites?

Any advice is appreciated. This is our First European adventure, and going someplace unfamiliar maybe a bit overwhelming at times.
HAL Oosterdam
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit
Golden Princess

Old 11-15-2005, 06:33 AM

Joey,
I assume you are referring to trying to book the Hotel Claris in Barcelona. If so, I might suggest you try the Hotel Royal on Las Ramblas. It is an excellent value for the money and in a perfect location. The prices are a bit more reasonable and the soundproofed rooms are quite nice. The hotel is a 5 min. taxi ride from the port. Taxis are not metered - so be sure to agree on the price first. I do not speak Spanish and had no difficulty - many of the menus do include English translation and most of the merchants speak some English.

As for Venice, I second Tom's suggestion of the Best Western Hotel Ala.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-15-2005, 07:53 AM

Hello and Thank you Nancy and Tom,

We in fact have decided on two properties!
In Barcelona we chose; the Hotel Continental Palacete; located at Rambla de Catalunya, 30 the tip of the square 165 euros per night. We were pleased to find this property.
If you care to check them out! It appears to be a family business, two properties in Barcelona
http://www.hotelcontinental.com/home_palacete.htm

In Venice we choose a quaint 10 room hotel the Locanda Orseolo
The Locanda Orseolo occupies an incomparable location in the heart of the historic town center of Venice only 40 meters from St. Mark's Square.
It was 190 euro per night.
http://www.locandaorseolo.com

I will write a review upon my return on both properties.

Once again thank you to both you and Tom.
Enjoy the Navigator of the Seas Bon Voyage!!
HAL Oosterdam
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit
Golden Princess

Closed Thread