Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 AM

The Regal Princess is doing a 31 day trip from Los Angeles beginning Aug. 31, which does a crossing from NZ to Australia, with a stop in Tasmania. I have heard that can be a very rough stretch, and I know the time of year is not the warmest/calmest in the southern hemisphere. Anyone have the experience to know what sea conditions I could expect on the trip? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 AM

The Regal Princess is doing a 31 day trip from Los Angeles beginning Aug. 31, which does a crossing from NZ to Australia, with a stop in Tasmania. I have heard that can be a very rough stretch, and I know the time of year is not the warmest/calmest in the southern hemisphere. Anyone have the experience to know what sea conditions I could expect on the trip? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
There are a couple of posts on this subject; click on "Find" and enter "Tasman Sea", and then "Bass Strait".
The short answer is yes, it could be rough; but so could any area any time of year. Nobody can say for sure.
The bridge will give you plenty of advance notice if things are going to get unpleasant so pay attention and take your medication of choice as soon as you hear.
I've been on Regal Princess from Auckland to Sydney but your itinerary looks like a dream cruise.
Have a wonderful trip and stay in touch.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:34 PM

Yes. it will be a rock-and-roll boat. Please do not forget to take some seasick pills with you.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Hi SD Cruiser,
You can't be certain when it's going to get rough on this stretch or any of New Zealand's coasts. I have been out fishing in the morning with the sea flat calm but by lunch time the sea has got very rough. If you are subject to sea sickness then just take your medication of choice and enjoy your cruise.
BTW are you coming into Dunedin.
Cheers
Peter
Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 AM

Thanks so much for all of your prompt and helpful responses. I am not sure whether or not we are going to be able to do the Regal cruise in September, but if not, we will try to do it within the following year on the Sapphire.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I'f you don't mind a little nudge, I would encourage you to go this year on the Regal Princess if at all possible. The August 31 L.A. to Sydney is its last cruise for Princess before transferring out of the fleet and will be a very special cruise. I would go myself if I could get a month off work at one time.
I don't know if you are familiar with Regal Princess but she is a magnificent ship, and with all her extra roomieness in cabins and on decks, ideally suited to a long voyage. Not that there is anything at all wrong with Sapphire Princess--she is ultra-magnificent, but she will be around for a long time. This will be the last chance for Regal Princess under the Princess banner.
Either way, have a wonderful trip.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 AM

HI SD CRUISER, I HAVE BEEN ON THAT ROUTE FROM AUCKLAND TO SYDNEY ON POS ARCADIA AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON SUCH A ROUGH STRETCH IN MY LIFE EVEN THE CAPTAIN SAID HE HAD NEVER SEEN IT THAT BAD, NO TO DISCOURAGE YOU BUT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF GOING ON THE REGAL PRINCESS, I THINK SHE IS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SHIPS AFLOAT, AND ITS A SHAME THEY ARE GIVING IT TO PO AUSTRALIA, ITS SUCH A WASTE, LIKE ONE OTHER POSTER, IF I COULD TAKE THE TIME OFF I WOULD AS WELL, GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOU DO TAKE THAT CRUISE, SHE IS A BIGGER SHIP THAN THE ONE I WENT ON SO MAYBE SHE WILL DO BETTER ON THAT RUN, I ALSO WENT AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER SO THAT TIMING COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE TO WHO KNOWS....HAVE FUN
Old 02-08-2007, 05:56 AM

Thanks so much f-mattox and greggs007, for your feedback. I am not sure we can manage this trip, this September, but though I have never been on the Regal, the last voyage does sound very special. HERE IS A BIG ISSUE FOR ME: How does the stability rating of this ship come out relative to the larger Sapphire which will make the crossing subsequently?

Also, the comment from Gregg re the roughest voyage ever does scare me, as it would be the same time of year. How rough was rough, gregg, and what did it feel like? Also how many hours was that extremely rough stretch?

I am wondering if the reverse crossing which happens each April would be a surer bet seawise.

Thanks again!
Ellie
Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello again Ellie,
you have to accept that there are no "sure bets" when it comes to the sea; you could have a rough crossing in April as easily as a smooth one in September.
I know of no "stability rating" for ships but I have been on Regal Princess and her twin, Crown Princess and both rode every bit as smoothly as Sapphire Princess.
I know GREGGS007 didn't mean to scare you, but please understand you can have a "roughest voyage ever" anyplace;
we have members who have had smooth sailings aroung Cape Horn which is notoriously rough. My roughest ever was in Alaska which is usually pretty placid. It just depends on a lot of factors over which none of us has control.
So go when the time is best for you, not when you think the seas will be most agreeable.
Whenever you go, have a wonderful cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
angelas, angeles, australi, australia, bass, cruise, cruises, final, la, long, los, princess, rough, ship, strait, voyage