Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 09:02 AM

We booked a cruise 10 days ago and were told we had 14 days to decide on the insurance. I've since read the fine print regarding the cancellation portion and there are some limitations that concern me (ie. grandchildren not included in 'immediate family'. Also, cost of cruise only refunded if passenger dies, otherwise rebooked only). My question is, I know you can buy medical insurance independently but what about cancellation? Usually you have to buy it soon after booking your trip. Anybody know about this?

Thanks, Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 AM

Sounds like you may be talking about a cruise lines insurance. They are usually more restrictive. You could try a 3rd party insurance www.travelguard.com If you booked through a travel agent they can help you with this.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:22 PM

Most 3rd party insurance protection plans (the only ones I recommend), such TravelGuard or TravelInsured can be purchased right up to the cruise date. The difference is in the "pre-existing condition waiver". If there is any pre-existing condition of a family member which may be the cause of your cancellation, then you want to make sure you purchase the policy within 7-14 days of initial deposit (depending on the specific company).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Administrator

In addition to cancellation insurance, I'd suggest looking for a policy that also offers trip interruption insurance. I know of several people who have had to cut their cruise short for a number of reasons, ranging from an at-home family emergency to an on-board injury, and trip interruption insurance covered the costs of air tickets and other out-of-pocket expenses. Most of the major third party insurers offer this. Again, book within 7-14 days of initial deposit to cover any pre-existing conditions that may cause you to return home early.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:01 PM

Does anyone know a place where I can get stories about how the different insurance companies have behaved once a claim is placed? That's really important info, but I can't find it anywhere.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:31 AM

While I don't know a website that offers that information, I can tell you from numerous experiences that Travel Insured has been excellent at processing claims from my clients without any problems or issues.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-18-2006, 12:07 PM

I have also heard good reports of service with Travel Guard.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:00 PM

The company we booked with uses Trip Assured. Would appreciate hearing about any claims stories - good or bad. Hopefully, not ugly!!
Thanks, Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 05-28-2006, 03:18 PM

Last April my wife and I booked a cruise for just the two of us on the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston. One week before our cruise date my Mother-in-law fell and broke her hip. We had to cancel our cruise because my wife has the Power of Attorney and had to arrange her mother's care. We lost $100 per airline ticket but we were reinbursted for the cruise. Our insurance was through Royal Caribbean. I'm sure glad I took out insurance.

Closed Thread

Tags
cancellation, caribbean, cruise, insurance, royal