Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 AM

I have both the patch from the doctor for all day at sea. And I have non-drowsy Dramamine for other days. I take Dramamine on long car trips. I have been on a day trip on a Navy ship. Did not get sick. My son was have happy I did not get sick. I am ready to pack the luggage. Leave for Seattle in 3 days.

Sherry S.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I just have to agree with Dave, the inside passage way is very calm and I had no sea sickness. I tell everyone I know that I will never, ever use the patch again...cotton month, blurred vision, swolen feet and over all feeling awful until all 4 of us took them off on our way to Bermuda. Just today my friend gave me what Dave spoke of Bonine and she swears by it not making us sleepy. So I will try that in this up coming cruise but most of the time I find I don't need it lucky I guess.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah dave i was going to consider taking an alaskan cruise until on my previous cruise our waiter told us that the alaskan cruises can be extremely rocky, so i was goin to put it off until i talked to someone who have been about it. Because i hate rocky cruises, it seems to ruin my entire trip.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 PM
CruiseMstr,
I was so surprised that a crew member told you that Alaskan Cruises are rocky, for most of the trip you not out in the open seas but in the inside passageway...I would not be worried about getting seasick at all. It is a wonderful cruise with scenic wonders you can see from both sides of the ship

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 PM

If there is one thing we have learned after cruising for more than 30 years all over the world (including Alaska) it is that you can never predict the weather and sea conditions. There are always exceptions to any rule when it comes to the sea. We have experienced rough seas (over 40 foot waves) where it should not have happened, and had glassy calm seas in places where most would expect it to be rough. We have also seen some passengers worry themselves sick (literally) on ships because they fear getting sick. We finally have learned to advise those that ask, that if you are going to always worry about sea conditions, perhaps you should consider a land-based vacation. Otherwise, just go and have fun and simply "roll with the seas." By the way, my wife always was worried about getting sick, and took 1 Bonine a day on every cruise (and we are talking about nearly 2 years on cruise ships). Finally, last year, she decided to skip the Bonine and it turned out she was a darn good sailor (we had 3 days of 30 foot plus seas).

My point to this post is that if you are looking for a guarantee of calm seas, its not going to happen. The odds are good that you will have pretty smooth sailing in Alaska, but there can also be bad days. In fact, in all our cruises we have found the calmest seas (as a general rule) to be in the Med during the summer months. And would you believe that with nearly 2 years at sea, are calmest overall cruise was a transatlantic cruise in April of 06 (20 days of glassy sea). And our roughest was another transatlantic in the following April. You just never know.

Hank
Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 AM

I too was concerned when we took our 2-week Alaskan cruise in May. I consulted a doctor and came prepared. I wore the wristbands and used ginger root. We left out of San Fransisco, the seas were a little rougher than I was used to from our Caribbean and Bermuda cruises. Once we passed Vancouver things calmed down. The inside passage was very smooth. On the return trip we hit a storm with 20+ foot waves. At that point I used the trans-scop patch the doctor had prescribed for an emergency. It worked like a charm. It was a trip of a lifetime. The pleasure outweighed a little rough seas. Enjoy your trip.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 PM

I use OTC Bonine (Meclizine) but be sure and take it at night- that way you will sleep really well ( a lot of these meds say 'non-drowsy' but they all make me tired) and it will prevent nausea and the off balance feeling too.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 PM

I have tried the wristband and it worked for me even though I was a bit skeptic, I would not leave without it next time. I got mine at (of all places) at sporting goods store.

Eileen

Read and post cruise reviews

Eileen
Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah Janfred, When i was on the Navigator of the Seas last year to cozumel, Our waitress in the main dining room was telling how she worked on Radiance of the Seas and how she will never work on a alaskan cruise again because it was entirely to rough, The topic came up because we were talking about alaska.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 09-16-2008, 08:10 AM

Just returned from the 7 day Alaska cruise. What a great time! Wow! We loved it. Had only one day of rain, which was in Juneau. Beautiful days all other days. Did take the Bonine, the first night,just in case. Didn't take it but the one night, decided that I would see what would happen. Didn't get sea sick at all. Was a little wavy at first, but in all very smooth sailing.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, apple, burmuda, cruise, foot, green, reviews, rocky, sea, seas, seasick, seasickness, ship, sickness, tips