Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 PM

As my departure day gets near, Sept. 7 to Alaska, I am just wondering about being sea sick. Is there anything that I could take with me just in case. Something that wouldn't make me sleepy. Don't want to sleep the cruise away. Does anyone recommend anything from over the counter or from the doctor? I was told that if you get sea sick your cruise could be ruined. Don't want that to happen. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

I am so excited for you for your upcoming cruise to Alaska!

As for seasickness, the best remedy I've ever found is a green apple. This was told to me by a crew member when I was cruising while in my first trimester of pregnancy and didn't want to take any meds. They're also free, and usually readily available on the ship.

Another idea is ginger. You should be able to find these in a health food store...but even a glass of ginger ale might help.

Before taking any OTC meds, please consult your physician.

Hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we did!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

They say bonine is less sleep-inducing than the other stuff. There was a dramamine "less drowsy" formula but I think it was pulled from the market. Of course, the downside to OTC meds is you have to take them before the symptoms strike or it is probably not going to work.

There are as many cures for motion sickness as there are for the hiccups. Ginger and apples work for some. Getting to a place where you can see the horizon works for some. For others, eating crackers works. Salty food does seem to help me on the rare occasions I get queasy - and everyone is susceptible to getting sea sick, even a grizzled old sea dog like a ship's captain. I prefer to not use medications.

If it strikes you badly, the ship's doctor has a magic injection (promethazine)that works like a charm - of course it will cost you and probably put you to sleep.

The biggest help is to not fret about it. Your itinerary is in waters that are usually very calm. This as opposed to getting out in the Gulf Of Alaska, where a highly experienced cruiser friend once told me he encountered the worst seas he'd ever seen.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Lisa makes a very important point about consulting your doctor before taking OTC meds for motion sickness. Many of them are antihistamines, and can have bad side effects. For example, I take meds for high blood pressure and cannot have antihistamines because they can cause a dangerous rise in my BP.

Another thing about being sea sick - laying down can actually make it worse. It is best to stand up, or at least sit up and keep moving.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the help. I am hoping that I don't get sea sick. I don't think I will take anything as I get sleepy with medicine, even over the counter. I'll try ginger and green apple if it does happen.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 AM

No one remedy works for everyone. Checking for possible OTC or even Prescription drug interactions is a good idea. The Ginger pills was a good preventative measure last time. Of Course it was not during rough seas.

The main thing I have read is to take the medication (That is approved) prior to getting ill.

Dwayne
Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Ejean-There are still the over the counter wristbands for seasickness. My No.1 swears by them and they do not seem to cause any drowsiness.

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 PM

Billybuzzy, I didn't know about the wrist bands. I'll try to find them at Walmart.If they don't make me sleepy,than that is what I need.
Ejean
Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Are these the wristbands that apply accupressure? I've found that they've helped me on some cruises, also. They're pretty inexpensive, too.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM

There are many different opinions about seasickness. Some like the homeopathic remedies like the sea bands, ginger, etc. Others tend to trust modern medicine. As to over the counter, Bonine (which is actually Meclizine HCL) is the same drug as is the prescription drug Antivert (this is also the same formula for the anti-drowsy Drmamine)is very effective for most folks. Since you only need one pill (25mg) per day, you can take the pill at bedtime, and it will probably not make you drowsy during the day. There is also a more effective prescription product called Transderm Scop (which is scopolomine) which is a patch you wear behind the ear. This product can have some side effects (some have trouble reading when on the patch) but its very effective.

Personally, after more than 30 years of cruising (and also using small boats) we (wife and I) have found Bonine to be good enough for us (they have this over the counter stuff at most pharmacies

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, apple, burmuda, cruise, foot, green, reviews, rocky, sea, seas, seasick, seasickness, ship, sickness, tips