Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 AM

Here is my question. I am leaving my 5 year old with his dad. My Cell phone company says my phone will work in the port cities at the awful cost of $1.49 a minute but this is less than the ship charges to use the satellite phone. Has anyone had any experience with their cell phones while on a cruise? I cant imagine going a whole week with out even saying hi to my little boy. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jennifer
Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 AM

Here is my question. I am leaving my 5 year old with his dad. My Cell phone company says my phone will work in the port cities at the awful cost of $1.49 a minute but this is less than the ship charges to use the satellite phone. Has anyone had any experience with their cell phones while on a cruise? I cant imagine going a whole week with out even saying hi to my little boy. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jennifer
Old 03-29-2004, 01:34 PM

I saw quite a few people using their cellphones on an eastern Caribbean cruise, when we were in St. Thomas and San Juan (both American territory ports), but also overheard comments from several people that their phones did not work as promised. I'd say it's hit or miss. Can your little guy do email? Though it's pricey, you could send him a short email each day to say hi from mommy, and can do that from the ship.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Banned

E-mail is the way to go. That is what we use with our kids. They are now grown up. I wish e-mail had been available when they were little. There is nothing worse than calling a little one to have them start to cry because they miss you!
Old 04-02-2004, 08:34 PM

I was on the Ecstasy in November and my children were left at home with their father. Before we got to Ensanada, I was still considered in extended area and had no problems calling home. When we docked in Ensanada, I was considered out of range so I had to dial the country code before the number. I made sure and talked very quick. I was prepared for a large phone bill but I was never charged extra for the call! Uneblievable! So I know exactly how you feel. Call your local long distance company and see if they can offer you special rates on a calling card or collect calls. If you get a great deal, then you can call on pay phones in ports.
Kristy
Old 04-05-2004, 06:06 PM

Just back from San Juan, St Thomas, St Martin. Cell Phone worked at San Juan and St Thomas but not St Martin. Ship phone was 6.95 per minute. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
bill, call, cell, code, cruise, dad, phone, phones, port