Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I am looking at an NCL 3 day repositioning cruise next year - LA to Vancouver. The United Airlines website tells me I can book an inside caben for $159/pp. The NCL, and other travel websites, including AAA & AARP, has the same cabin class at $219. All of you TAs out there always say to avoid the travel sites and to use an agent - and I usually agree with you..... HOWEVER - - the $159 price is such a ganga...how do I keep from booking this cruise at this price right now? If I book, and pay in full now, will I lose anything if United Airlines doesn't make it out of bankruptcy? When booking through a site like this, do they hande the documentation or does NCL once payment is complete? Thanks for any and all input.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I am looking at an NCL 3 day repositioning cruise next year - LA to Vancouver. The United Airlines website tells me I can book an inside caben for $159/pp. The NCL, and other travel websites, including AAA & AARP, has the same cabin class at $219. All of you TAs out there always say to avoid the travel sites and to use an agent - and I usually agree with you..... HOWEVER - - the $159 price is such a ganga...how do I keep from booking this cruise at this price right now? If I book, and pay in full now, will I lose anything if United Airlines doesn't make it out of bankruptcy? When booking through a site like this, do they hande the documentation or does NCL once payment is complete? Thanks for any and all input.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:27 PM

Hmmmm, Well, I would certainly pay with a credit card. That way if good old United Airlines bites the dust, you can dispute the charges. I would suspect that NCL will do the documents, but I am not sure on that. Also, I would check to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Good old United Airlines may not have included taxes, port charges, service fees, who knows?

With tounge in cheek, maybe United has blocked space for a "United Airlines Cruise". You know, meals are not included, but you can buy one one the ship. There won't actually be restrooms in the cabin, but you can use the ones aft on the ship....but no lines can form at the forward restroom. I am sorry, you can't use your cell phone either.

You have to admit that it is odd that an airline in bankruptcy is offering a better price on a cruise than the cruise line itself is. NCL has come out with a "no discounting / rebating" policy, so I wonder about it.

Let us know how it progresses.

Tom
Old 02-23-2005, 07:26 AM

Listen to Tom's advice. I have gotten burned a couple times by what turned out to be nothing more than bait and ended up paying more than what I would have paid through my local travel agent. Never again!!!
Shelley
Old 02-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Banned

I learned a lot by observing my father. He always shopped for a bargain. He would shop around long enough until he found a way to get screwed.

If it appears to be too good it usually is. Look thru the interet today and you will see that there is not much difference in prices for anything. The only way to cut the cost is by omitting something. If a business cuts too much they will go out of business. Look at the large places like K Mart, and Winn Dixie.

I like to deal with a company that is up front. If someone tries to pull the bait and switch I will not reward them with giving them my business.

Closed Thread