Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 AM

I am soon going to be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversay and want to do a surprise trip on a cruise holiday. My husband has never cruised before and I have only done one. The question is which cruise ships are good and which area of the world would one recommend? We will be taking a 15 year old daughter with us and a 10 year old son. I know views will be varied, but I will be able to make a chice of the best ones recommended. By the way my husband has enjoyed scuba diving in the past, so something sort of exotic and different would be nice. We live on a small Island between England and Ireland, so there isn't really anything exotic about where we live. We would be looking to travel at the end of April, so would enjoy somewhere hot and rainfree. Thanks for your help and advice.
Lori
Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 AM

Hi Lori and welcome

cruising in april and something with hot weather and rainfree? Okay, caribbean or Hawaii.

We have been for out 25th wedding anniversary on Hawaii, but not with a cruise. But it was the perfect place for this special day. And also interesting for your kids, if they are interested in wonderful nature, beaches, and, and .....
It also depends, how long you want to cruise.
We also european, prefer longer cruises. Or we like to combine cruises with a prestay, like Miami.
I booked a cruise as a surprise trip for my husbands 55th anniversary to Hawaii, starting in San Diego, may 7th on the Radiance OTS.
So let us know, some more things you like, you donīt like, how long and more.

Best wishes to the Isle of Man (wonderful place)

Marita

Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Hello,

The following are some ideas for you to consider but please remember I do not know your budget or whether you want to take the children out of school for a holiday like this.

There are some very interesting transatlantic cruises in April and May 2006 and again in September, October, and November of 2006. The rates are usually very reasonable and the airfare will be lower as well.

There are some excellent 10 day cruises from Fort Lauderdale (Florida) that include a partial transit of the Panama Canal. And the ports of Aruba, San Juan,and Grand Cayman are interesting as well. There are some great 14 day cruises from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego or Los Angeles and vice versa.

Closer to home (Isle of Man) there are some great trips to the Mediterrean and to the northern countries.

I would select from the major or premium cruise lines (RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, and others) because there is a greater likelihood of their providing you with a nice cruise experience.

Let me know if you would like some specifics.

Take care,

Fred
Old 11-11-2005, 07:55 AM

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I was considering cruising and stopping off at ports like the Maldives or Maritus but am unsure which cruiselines sail these places. I would be looking up to about 17 nights or less. It doesn't concern me if I have to take the children out of school. I am also unsure as to whether a 15 year old and 10 year old wouldbe expected to pay the same fare or it is discounted. I am going around Southern Caribbean next year but this trip is without my husband. I would love Hawaii but sadly my husband has never had the urge to go there. Regarding the price range I am actually looking to plan it for April 2007 which I know seems a long way away but it gives me an idea what to budget for and I suppose I should be able to look at booking it just after Christmas. I will be 50 and my husband 52 when we go on the trip. We are both fit and healthy and haven't a problem with activities. Well many thanks and I look forward to your replies.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:26 AM

Hello,

If I may make another suggestion...look at repositioning cruises where cruise lines move their ships from one part of the world to another, usually in April and May and then again in September/October. And have you thought about the South Pacific including Australia and New Zealand? Australia is a particularly interesting country to visit.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:14 PM

Lori,

I would suggest several of the already mentioned cruises -
Panama Canal is always a highlight. A bit later & you can do one of the repositioning cruises that are slightly longer.
If you include Grand Cayman or Cozumel there is the great dive opportunity.

One of my favorites was Hawaii/Tahiti. Princess now has more Tahiti cruise options.

Another option to look into may be to charter a small boat for your family & include Maldives & Maritus.

Good Luck with your planning.

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Closed Thread