Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
What would be considered a good price for this particular cabin?
Leigh, there are so many variables that affect cruise price: time of year, how full the ship is, whether there is a promotion for a particular group (residents of certain states, seniors, etc.) A "good price" at Christmastime would be considered quite high during hurricane season, for example. What counts is the value, not the exact dollar amount. If you are satisfied with your cruise and feel it was money well spent, then you paid a good price.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:50 AM

$14.67 plus tax and tip

Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
$14.67 plus tax and tip
You *know* you're asking for trouble with that one, Chuck!

Sandy
Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Can't help being a WISEA** once in a while - or more often if I can get away with it!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Well, from our standpoint, that's sure not true...we get incredibly low cruise fares, between last minute deals and military discounts but on our last 2 cruises we had between $950 and $1300 on our sign'n'sail card plus we'd spent another $500-$600 in cash. I'd say we're certainly paying our fair share onboard!
Popsec, I didn't mean to suggest as a hard rule that the less one pays up front, the less they pay on board. However, here is a recent example. I was just on the Constellation for a New England / Canada cruise and the cruise before ours was their first of the year. As I had a group of cruise professionals with me, we invited some of the ship's staff to come talk with us. The gentleman that was in charge of on-board revenue came in and thoroughly explained his role on the ship.

He shared that on the last cruise (because it just didn't sell well) the market price dropped below $400.00 in some regional markets. He was charged with building on-board revenues to offset the front load. But even with all of the crew's efforts they had 170 passengers that did not spend a dime on the ship. It was the first time it had ever happened to this gentleman.

I would say that whatever channel that you are buying your cruises at the last minute would be very desireable for the cruise lines if other folks purchasing from the same channel are spending like amounts on-board.

Tom
Old 11-09-2006, 09:41 AM

Not to stir the pot, but I have seen the situation Jason described happen several times while I was in line to be checked in. After seeing this happen,I pulled out a litle cash and was upgraded to a handicapped suite RIGHT THEN AND THERE. This was on my last RCCL cruise. If no one has booked these suites at sail time, they will release them, or at least used to. I have tried this with Carnival with no luck. Back to Jason's scenario, I have seen this happen personally twice while in line and heard of instances from others, mostly people that live in the Miami/FTL area. The clerk quickly took the propective cruiser to a private desk area where no one else can hear and worked something out as far as fare. I don't know factually the deal they got, but do know that they ended up on the ship..and in a balcony cabin down the hall from me! As far as automatically upgrading everyone else first, they only upgrade the TBA or "run of the ship" ticketed passengers. All others stay with their advance assignments, unless they request otherwise after boarding at the pursers desk. If anyone really wants to chance this procedure, just pick the least desirable travel period, take off from work and show up - during hurricane season might help too. I jsut cannot see me doing that unless I lived right beside the pier.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM

I agree that an upgrade can be made "on the spot" when boarding, but I doubt that those waiting on the pier to board at a discount will be accommodated.

Of more interest, why the switch from RCCL to Carnival? What gives? Better food, service, entertainment or what?

I see a Carnival cruise in my future.

Tom
Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 PM

Again, A very interesting read.

I was told if the ship does not sell out, which is rare that CCL employees have stand-by priority above Travel Agents.

To get an onboard upgrade they would have to have unsold cabins, and run out of stand by customers. It does happen, my last cruise was told was 2 cabins left.

But this is not a check-in to a hotel type situation. The ship is more than likely to be sold out, or berthed with standby people prior to embarkation day. Also another point is that no-show cabins are not released untill after the first port of call.

This is from my knowledge, but I am learning alot from this thread and wanted to throw my 1 cent worth in.

IslandCruz

Closed Thread

Tags
affect, cruise, cruising, discounts, iatan, location, price, standby