Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2005, 09:39 AM

If you have pets I'm sure someone can answer this question. We usually have our neighbor care for our dogs but one of ours is young and a handful and I feel guilty asking her to watch him for a week. So I'm going to board him...I haven't reserved it yet but my neighbor just reminded me of the kennel cough vaccine. Its been years since I've boarded a dog. I assume I still ahve to get the shot for him, no problem, but my neighbor was thinking you had to get it like a month before boarding! We leave in 20 days!!!!
Anyone know what the guidelines are???

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 05-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

Sorry i cant answer this question but do you have any other questions? Where are you going?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:10 PM

We are leaving on June 16th from Port Canaveral to Nassau on a 3 day cruise. hubby , myself, and my kids ..boys ages 15 and 12 and a girl age 5. First for us all but hubby. We are traveling to Florida 4 days prior to the cruise to visit friends and Disney.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 05-28-2005, 07:25 PM

I am a catmom, so I'm not up on dog vaccines. Call your vet to find out for sure about when you need to get the shots done.

An alternative would be to find a professional in-home petwatcher. They don't have to stay in your home (though some can) but will come up to several times a day to feed & water, walk and otherwise care for your pets. We have used them for some years now - since we pay them, we can ask them to do things how we like (neighbors doing it for free might slack off, but since they're doing it to be nice, you hate to correct them!) Your vet may be able to recommend one - if not for this trip, at least for next time. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2005, 08:31 PM

We are dog parents ...so I can tell you about the vaccine. It's just a little spray in the nose and it's good for a year...they just need proof you have it. Technically it's good for two-to three years, but almost all reputable kennels require it yearly. It's not part of the regular vaccine regimine at most vets because most dogs aren't kenneled (sp?). It's usually something that you can just call and an assistant can do..not appointment needed. Anyway, kennel cought is not fatal in most dogs (except the old and already feeble) but it is horrible to hear. It's a long lasting cough...basically a cold, or bronchitis for puppy dogs. It is HIGHLY contagious. If you board him (or her) again, you want to make sure that the vaccine doesn't expire (the one year mark) while he's in the kennel because you could possible be held liable if any other dogs get kennel cough. Also, if you're gone for a long time, think about a kennel that allows for play time in a yard. Many veterinarian offices don't allow for this option, but it keeps them a little healthier...our dogs even enjoy going to the kennel we use. Good luck!

Closed Thread