Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 PM

Wait a minute, hold up here a sec... what is this "sea legs" business? People at work were talking about sea legs.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM

Fivepoints,

The sea legs are an expression of one's ability to withstand the motion of the ship without getting sick.

Steve
Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 AM

Donīt forget the sea legs, you will have also, when you are in the ports and you think you walk like being drunk. And it can hold on for several days, when you arrived at home.

Marita

Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 AM

Five points,
I am extremley motion sensitive. I am unable to sit in the back seat of a car due to motion sickness. I had only one evening on the ship where I felt mildly uncomfortable. I was able to take a dramamine and feel fine, however when I got home the sea legs started to kick in. I felt like I was swaying back and forth. It lasted for a day or two. It was not that bad and has not kept me from the three cruises I have taken this year.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM

I have experienced "sea legs" mostly when the last day or two are sea days back to the ship's homeport rather than when there is a stop on the last day of the cruise.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:45 AM

As a wife of a retired navy husband, I can honestly tell you that "getting your sealegs" is when you can WALK A STRAIGHT LINE ON A MOVING VESSEL. And "getting your sealegs back" is when you no longer WALK LIKE YOUR SLIGHTLY DRUNK OR SEEM TO HAVE VERTIGO once you are back on land.
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 06-15-2006, 12:25 PM

Hallo, dellajj,
your interpretation is absolutly correct. After some days on board you will get your sealegs (maybe); and - as Marita wrote - it can hold on for some days, when you are back on land.
Regards
Uwe
Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 PM

Howdy from Texas. I thought I would have a problem with "sea legs", but I never did. We took Bonine once a day and never got sick, and adjusted to the movement quickly. We missed one of our scheduled ports because of bad weather, so we were 3 days straight at sea - no problems. When we got back home, I thought I would be walking funny, but we took one more Bonine and felt fine. Adjusted ok by next morning. Now, who knows about the next time - we may feel like a drunk walking, but then again, maybe not. I guess everyone reacts differently to the movement. As long as you feel ok, who cares! Have a great trip!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:20 PM

Rodney,

sea legs have nothing to do with sea or motion sickness. First itīs a problem from your inner ear and your balance.
My husband never gets seasick, but also has difficulties with sea legs espespially after 4 days at sea and then coming to a port. And when its combined with a long distance flight and a big time difference it can last longer than normal.
This time, after a 14 day Hawaii cruise, we had problems for almost 4-5 days at home. A friend of us even felt down several times at home and had to go to a doctor to get some special medication.
But as we all love cruising, sea legs canīt stop us cruising, itīs not that bad.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:11 PM

Right you are, Marita. Motion sicknes and ? This is like appels and pears....
Have you ever been in Venice (Venezia)and took a gondola "ferry" from one side of the Canale Grande to the other? If you have no , you cannot stay in the gondola without helping yourself by sitting. Isnīt it so?
Regards
(the other) Uwe

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cure, expression, legs, sea, sealegs, whats